Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 D Jefferson Nickel Die Deterioration Or Misaligned Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 342Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kurokaji11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've lurked here for awhile and finally got around to posting something. I found a 1988 D Jefferson nickel with something going on, either a Misaligned Die or maybe just Die Deterioration? I dont think its a DDO / DDR since its on both sides.

The last couple pix are a side by side comparison with another 1988 D nickel. Thoughts?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45092 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. My thought is a worn die issue. Let's wait for the pros.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68798 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, Die Deterioration. Not a MAD.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
23664 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've lurked here for awhile and finally got around to posting something.

Well I'm glad that you have graduated from lurking to being an active participant. I agree that this nickel was struck from tired dies and so the tops of some parts of the inscriptions are deformed and/or running into the rim.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1658 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ridge ring is more common on modern cents, but the effect can happen on nickels too after the die wears
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Late Die State. Probably has been through three polishing steps, and now just finishing up it was many strikes before retirement.They are showing the extreme die wear at this point:

Different year, different die, but the same end result. The reason it affects the outer edge of the die, it metal is moved from the center of the planchet and pushed against the collar. Thus the flat edge on the coin. Doing this leaves the like pushed snow affect, as it wears off more of the die on that area, showing as raised on the coins on that area. In a beauty contest, these would be the least likely, to impress the judges.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/21/2022 2:45 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurokaji11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input everyone!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We want you to see what we see on your coin. If we have made that happy, then we've done our job to our expectations. Seeing slight differences helps us to see how dies age compared to what they were then they started out fresh. You might save this one to show to your students that you will instructing as a show and tell coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8928 Posts
Learn More...
United States
113400 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are we seeing next to the rim area? (Click to enlarge message. I didn't realize that it was that small)

CoopHome: What causes the metal to flow around the outside edges of the devices devices?
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
05/24/2022 11:11 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: