Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 P Lincoln Cent With A Long Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
298 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the course of trying to identify a DDO obverse on this 1985 P cent, I discovered an unusual Die Crack. It runs from the rim thru the G in GOD down the back of the head and terminates at the back of the coat where the shirt meets the coat. It is thin but definitely there! One of the longest one I have found. Let me know your thoughts and Regards.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a coin scratch. Note the trench in the center with debris rising on the sides like this:

A die crack will be irregular in shape and raised on the center of the affected area, because of a void that is opening on the the die.

Note the upper left image of the die crack? See the void on the die? That is what makes the metal raise on the coin.

A coin scratch will be incuse marks into the design/devices or fields on the coin. A die crack will be raised over the fields and devices on the coin. All raised.

CoopHome: What is the difference between a die crack and a coin scratch?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/21/2022 3:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scratches run under the letter G? Wouldn't it scratch the surface of the letter. I see something that looks like a scratch but it's displaced to the right. I'll try a close up. Regards!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@allcoinsaregood

Incredible photography skills
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok took a close up. It definitely is a scratch. you can see the furrow!
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Blind Squirrel for the compliment but I should know how to take Pics. I spent 35 years in Television Broadcast and was a chief engineer at a post-production facility, so I should be able to take an electronic picture. Unfortunately, my microscope cost 120 bucks from Amazon not 10,000 a good RGB camera cost! Make do with what I got. Regards!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: