Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 S Trade Dollar For Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  9:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one came today .
Type I Obverse
Type 2 Reverse
Graded by PCGS

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68705 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-45, just a stab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4114 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't get a good feel for luster. Maybe AU50
Pillar of the Community
United States
5857 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK for AU-50. The reverse scratch shouldn't be enough to detail the coin, but PCGS can be finicky. Hopefully they graded it problem-free.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12176 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 details

I'm going with details (Scratched) due to displaced metal on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF Details scratched and the N is damaged. If the coin straight graded, the issues would have got me off the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks nice in hand with a fair amount of luster . It graded XF-45 . To me looks AU-50 maybe the hit on the reverse kept her down. Not that bad though and does not bother me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She look pretty nice.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
2834 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53
Pillar of the Community
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9466 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details, reverse damage.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She is still straight graded XF-45 :)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12176 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She is still straight graded XF-45

I'm surprised she graded straight. when you see displaced metal its one of the criteria for damage. I guess they didnt think it was bad enough but there is also displaced metal on the right wing also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts are it's a Trade dollar so they are a little easier on them.
The coin is otherwise quite nice and closer to AU-50 . The hit on the coin looking right is quite minor . On the other side it is larger for sure but is a hit so that's my thought as to why it straight graded. Had it been a big staple scratch I'm sure it would of been details.
Sweet looking coin for the money though. I'll buy more like this if I can find them.
Edited by JasonKflo
05/27/2022 3:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you cracked out the coin and resubmitted, it would most likely come back details. The 75S is common and lots of examples to choose from, so not necessary to buy one with a scratch. If the coin was a 74CC, and you got it for a good price, I would say nice buy. On the 78s, 77, 77S, 76S and 75S, you should be picky. The other dates are expensive and hard to find nice quality examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree with it would most likely come back details. I guess that's the benefit of having it in hand as opposed to looking at pics. For the grade it looks nice in hand as opposed to many others I have seen.
I do think it got net graded as it's otherwise a lower AU coin.
Edited by JasonKflo
05/27/2022 4:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: