Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Lincoln Wheat Cent Explanation Wanted On This One Please

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 529Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  08:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got his in change this AM at my local coffee stop. Now, I am usually very skeptical when it comes to "variety" coins, but this one caught my attention.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year to Title. Titles are Important! ***

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8520 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a rather damaged '53 (Philly) wheat cent--dings, hits, gouges, moved metal. Assume the reverse looks pretty much the same? Post-strike damage accumulated over the years, plus a bit of environmental staining/tarnish. Bottom line, coin didn't leave the striking chamber in that condition
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Appears to be a rather damaged '53 (Philly) wheat cent--dings, hits, gouges, moved metal. Assume the reverse looks pretty much the same? Post-strike damage accumulated over the years, plus a bit of environmental staining/tarnish. Bottom line, coin didn't leave the striking chamber in that condition

I get that, but why the lack of damage where the base of the one used to be?
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How could the "ONE" be struck in the direction of the arrow and not leave any damage to the area where the base of the "ONE" used to be?

the area where the base of the "ONE" used to be

Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's like there was never anything there to begin with.
Learn More...
United States
23702 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@alpha, trying to guess how an object gouging one area of a coin might have affected other areas of a coin seems like tilting at windmills to me. I see nothing suggesting that the date was not normal when this coin was struck. You have a well-circulated and damaged common-date Wheat cent. Value is two or three times face value.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A once normal coin now beat up by circulation...PMD. Please properly crop photos before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
05/22/2022 09:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just see a damaged coin. Agree that cropping your images will help in evaluating details.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@alpha, trying to guess how an object gouging one area of a coin might have affected other areas of a coin seems like tilting at windmills to me. I see nothing suggesting that the date was not normal when this coin was struck. You have a well-circulated and damaged common-date Wheat cent. Value is two or three times face value.

First of all I don't give a crap about the value.
second, How could the "ONE" be struck in the direction of the arrow and not leave any damage to the area where the base of the "ONE" used to be?
lastly, I merely found it interesting.
The coin gods have spoken. "Something happened", now I know.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please properly crop photos before posting...thanks.
John1

Even if I knew what properly cropped photos were, I don't know how. I've posted hundreds of pic here without "cropping", suddenly it's important? I'll try my best.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Alpha33 out..............................................................
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that is a little odd; how could the original "1" be damaged like that. It looks like the 1 shifted up, curled, and turned into a "c". Plate tectonics?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21878 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How could the "ONE" be struck in the direction of the arrow and not leave any damage to the area where the base of the "ONE" used to be?

This is 100% the wrong question.

The question should be...

How can the one be struck in the direction of the arrow during the minting process.

The answer is it can't, so it can't be an error.

Billions of ways to damage a coin. Finite number of ways for an error to happen.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21878 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even if I knew what properly cropped photos were, I don't know how.

Click here. Makes it easier for people to help you and with all the extraneous image gone, you can upload much better pics. After a few times it only takes 30-45 seconds.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17958 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9073 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is damage. How it happened? Took a shallow hit during circulation. Copper is a very soft metal and sometimes the material can get moved around and over time the spot where the 1 used to be could have been smoothed over and erasing any sigh it was ever there. Look at the overall surface of the coin, almost all of the details of this coin has been erased.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 529Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: