Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Double Die Buffalo Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 439Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  2:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RockyRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Guys,

I have an interesting 1917 Buffalo nickel that has nice doubling on the dates which is clearly visible and there is no other doubling on the portrait or the letters which makes me think this is an unique double die coin like the popular 1916 variety. Please check the pictures and let me know your thoughts on it and its possible grade and value. Appreciate all your inputs. Kind Regards! Ben

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45685 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
05/22/2022 5:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4149 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pics would help, but I'm not seeing any doubling. Looks like there may be some Die Deterioration Doubling present, may be what your referring to on the date. Not seeing any of the doubling present for DDO-001. Nice example nonetheless.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RockyRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Guys for your inputs. If you see the date closely, especially the bottom of the 9 you see the doubling quite clearly.Just check it one more time and let me know, I just want your thoughts before I send it in to NGC. Cheers!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45685 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not send it in. It does not look like a DDO at all. Give it a bit and more members will chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4149 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing anything besides the Die Deterioration Doubling. I would also save your money and not send it in. Given it is not DDO-001 and there are no other (known) DDO's for this year, a TPG would not attribute it as such. It will just come back as an AU 1917
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RockyRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so very much guys for your input, I have added a picture with a few red arrows pointing at the bottom of 9 that really made me feel it's a possible double die in the first place. Please take a look at let me know your thoughts.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: