Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 Australian Half Penny Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Is this what is called a partial collar error? There is also what looks like ghosting although not sure if that will show up in photo. Are these of value in this grade?
many thanks

Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert in anything but there is some weakness in the strike of the tail, the K of KG and the first leg of H.

While there is some ghosting evident on the reverse, there is also an interesting double line under the roo, like the start of another leg. it's not ghosting or a die clash that I can see, but others may give a better explanation.

Also a vertical line from T to R in AUSTRALIA, but that may be just some crud or stain, difficult to tell from the photo resolution.

But thanks for posting. (I do like a good error!)
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And looking at the obverse, the weak strike is evident. Maybe a filled die
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply ttkoo.
Under the Roo and the G of George on the obverse looks like small cuts like on the below when looking with a loupe. Not sure whether they are some sort of planchet error of PMD though?

Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmmm... wrong topic...1948? we spoke of this 1950 before
Edited by ttkoo
05/23/2022 02:22 am
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just showing the type of markings on the 1948 HP that are also on the 1950 P. The HP are much tinier but have a similar almost vibration mark when viewed under a loupe. Again, I have no idea whether planchet error or PMD. A dealer looked at the 1950 and said it most likely was planchet but the coin was of such low value it didn't matter.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see. That explains it...
Clearly the dealer has no appreciation of the beauty of error coins!
Me, I love them and spend hours with a bright light and loupe going over each coin in detail looking for that elusive error.
I agree about the difference between the pennies and halves, but if you can, please explain the "vibration mark"
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know best way to describe it other it looks like it 'vibrates' or 'stutters' in the line marks ie not a smooth gouge line. Not up on my coin error technical terms obviously
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I need to study mine and see if I can see some Good Vibrations!
Back to the 1948 hp, are the marks under the roo indented or is it gunk / stain?
It looks interesting.
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slightly indented so either a scratch or small error I guess. The line in front the G in George is similar also with that stuttery/vibrated line. I think I am creating anew language now! lol
Learn More...
Australia
14485 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dint "underneath" the G (it's actually "above" the G, when looking at the coin the right way up) is just a bag mark, not an error - an object, most likely another coin, has hit it. If it is "stuttering", then the coin that hit it probably had a reeded edge (like a shilling or florin).

As for the "partial collar error", this occurs when a coin does not sit "all the way down" into the collar, but only partway down. You can see this most obviously on the edge, which tends to look something like a railway wheel, with part of the coin restrained by the collar die, and part not. If the edge of your coin looks normal and straight, it's not a partial collar.

"Ghosting" happens on pennies. It's not really considered an "error", as it's more a result of poor coin design than a defect or flaw in the manufacturing process.

This coin might be somewhat weakly struck and/or from worn dies (both being all-too-common features on Perth-minted pennies), but does not seem to have much else going on with it that would generate a premium.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap.

So the below is a bag mark?

Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A shout out thanks to ttkoo for links on another thread. Thanks to those links I found this in relationship to my 1948 HP. I hadn't even checked previously if it was an upset. I think this must be what this error refers to.

Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close up
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hold the coin rim with one finger at the top and one finger at the bottom, making sure that the roo and Half Penny are level and looking at you.
Spin the coin around so that the king is looking at you. If the kings head is now pointing to 11:00 oclock, that's an upset. The more out of time with 12:00 o'clock, the better for the upset.

Your coin seems to me to be a partial mis-strike of some type. There are no denticles at all along the rim from F in HALF, clockwise around to the last A in AUSTRALIA. The H in HALF is missing it's bottom left leg, a weak KG and roo tail. Also those two vertical lines under the roo, and the line from the T down to the R in AUSTRALIA could be a die clash. (Enlarged pic below)

I'm probably the last person to dish out error advice but that's my two bits worth.

Someone with more experience than me may care to give it another coat of looking at.

A nice coin too.

Edited by ttkoo
06/01/2022 04:49 am
Valued Member
Australia
84 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2022  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers ttkoo. Yes, definitely 11 O'clock. So lets call it 11pm and then it is 11 hours away from the 12 O'clock. Worth a fortune! lol Hard to tell what the lines are from between T & R and under roo are but definitely not stain. Couple on the obverse also. Sap mentioned that most likely bag strikes from other coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: