Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 Australian Penny Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 450Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  02:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all.
Would this be VG or Fine grade do you think? I often hear people talk about the pearls or diamonds so is that the main distinguishing criteria?
Many thanks for your replies. It is quite a journey learning about these things! Some of your knowledge is simply amazing

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3958 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost VF, but cleaned in the past. Not a bad piece
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19691 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gradewise,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68974 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very close to VF. Sharper portrait side image would help.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank for the replies all.
As for cleaning in the past, it would have had to be done more than 42 years ago when my 87 year old Grandad passed. The coins have been in a box ever since until recently and I certainly haven't cleaned them.
First obverse below is another pick of the 1928 obverse. Below that is 1924 Aust Penny which by your comments above would be slightly higher VF?
Your feed back is seriously appreciated!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19691 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Coinfrog:
Good to see some of our American friends doing British grading as well !

I have to admit: I prefer Sheldon on modern MS60+ coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1247 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  12:39 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i wouldn't say cleaned they may have been wiped with a rag or cloth of some kind, but more or less just circulation and would place it in a VF condition 1928 (oh I think you have broken 8, the bottom bit of the 8 is missing) for VF 1924.

For the pennies its the crown (5 jewels) the ear, beard and the detailing of the vest
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ryuazu. I hadn't even noticed the broken 8. I didn't even know there was a broken 8 error if I am honest!
The coins haven't been cleaned or wiped but have been rubbing against each other in a box of about 40 or so coins.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Also a broken O in OMN and broken O in George. How often does this happen?
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good grief. and a broken 2 in the date. 4 errors on the one coin. The cut in the E on the ONE I assume is PMD.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, this looks like the twin of this one posted by Ford Prefect back in 2009. There must be heaps of 1928 error varieties?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things like the broken 2 and and broken E are pretty common - dies were used a bit more than they should have been in the past.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing what you find when you look closely. Die cracks through the whole date! Never noticed until now!
I am finding more errors than my high school maths tests!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19691 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1924 filled '4' errors are reasonably common as far as errors of this date are concerned.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about die cracked errors through the date Sel? I have seen a few online between the 2 and 4 but hard to find many with the crack going right through the whole date?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: