Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Liberty Half Dollar And Weight Concerns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 604Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello.

I've purchased a few coins with date range of 1942-44. They look nice and all are over 12.40+ grams.

Two of them are over 12.5 g, which is my concern.

Here are the weights from lowest to highest:
12.42 g
12.46 g
12.48 g
12.48 g
12.49 g
12.53 g
12.54 g

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck. I can post some of my small collection I received from my grandpa. I'd like to get more into coins but surely need to be more informed.
Edited by coindu
05/23/2022 5:11 pm
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding images:

Edited by coindu
05/23/2022 5:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45867 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

12.5 +/- .26grams is normal. Wear will reduce the coin a bit.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "official" weight of the WLH is 12.5 grams, so all of these would be within tolerance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! It was an impulse buy. I've since placed into "air tite" coin containers. If you know of any storing alternatives, I'm all ears. The plastic coin sleeves wear pretty easily for me, so trying individual containers.

For starters, I hope to get 10 of each coin type. Sticking to silver at the moment. I'm now finished with Walking Liberty half dollars and have been for Kennedy half dollars. I'm working on Peace dollars next then Franklin. I'm not training my eyes after years or perfect coins, just pretty enough atm. If you have any tips about buying silver, I'd be interested.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before storing them, I would say try the ping test. Note the sound of a genuine coin, and compare a questionable coin's tone. Minor differences is to be expected, but completely different ping sounds means that something isn't right.

The lower far right and left coins appear off to me, but that may just be a combination of the camera angle and lighting. The luster is so good on those, that it seems like the no-contact-mark Chinese counterfeits.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Before storing them, I would say try the ping test. Note the sound of a genuine coin, and compare a questionable coin's tone. Minor differences is to be expected, but completely different ping sounds means that something isn't right.

The lower far right and left coins appear off to me, but that may just be a combination of the camera angle and lighting. The luster is so good on those, that it seems like the no-contact-mark Chinese counterfeits.

jacrispies: are there any camera angles I can provide to assist your concerns?
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal weights, there was and still is a small discrepancy between weights of the same type of coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sad but true that there are Chinese counterfeits of even lower cost common date coins like these. However, the weight is usually off since the metal is not silver. I can't speak for what @jacrispies is seeing, but I'm guessing it is more likely the lighting and/or camera. The detail sharpness certainly matches the other coins.

Question for you. Why 10 of each type and why the same (or multiples of) dates? Nothing wrong with getting a stack of old silver coins. We all love that stuff. However, have you thought about what you want your collection to eventually look like? There's no wrong way to collect, but most folks want type sets or sets by date or whatever. All I'm saying is that you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run if you collect purposefully.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coindu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question for you. Why 10 of each type and why the same (or multiples of) dates? Nothing wrong with getting a stack of old silver coins. We all love that stuff. However, have you thought about what you want your collection to eventually look like? There's no wrong way to collect, but most folks want type sets or sets by date or whatever. All I'm saying is that you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run if you collect purposefully.

Haven't thought much other than an observable collection of my own. Just adding to what I already own. 10 of each is just to set a limit of how much I'm willing to invest right now. I have some proofs and sets that I'm not particularly interested in, plan to sell or give to another family member. I like circulated coins, nothing for a pretty box. It can just be an interesting stain or wear to a coin that I like. It's more of an interest brought on by my grandfather. I'd say it's still is in its own way.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Air tite holders work great, much of my collection from 1959 to 2022 is in air tites. Those are nice looking Walking Liberty half dollars, and they will look just fine and be protected in the air tites.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: