Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading An 1877 Halfpenny And Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  09:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Afternoon all,

This one just popped through my letterbox. Quite pleased with it. What would you consider it's grade to be? I'd say gVF, perhaps aEF maybe, at a push?.

Also, under closer examination, the outline of Victoria's face can be seen starting at the point of Britannia's left knee. Is this usual? Thanks for any suggestions.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69037 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid EF (Sheldon), perhaps even AU. Great looker.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Solid EF (Sheldon), perhaps even AU. Great looker.

Cheers Frog. One or two more dinks than on the original pics, but purty nonetheless.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3964 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And full English EF too. The ghosting of her majesty on Britannias knee was overstriking by the dies, the penny afterall was quite thin!

The 1870s was a time when knew and stronger machines were introduced and many of the coins of this era were experimental. This overpunching was probably not serious enough.

Great coin!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the reverse seems to be a solid AU judging by no wear on her fingers but the obverse is a little more worn on the hair so I'd say EF on it, but overall a very nice example of a common date halfpenny.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And full English EF too. The ghosting of her majesty on Britannias knee was overstriking by the dies, the penny afterall was quite thin!

Ah, thanks Prince, I thought it might have been something to do with the dies. Interesting little quirk.

Quote:
but the obverse is a little more worn on the hair

Indeed, after a closer examination in hand it lacks definition.

Much obliged to you.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And full English EF too.

When you collect these by date, you realise how difficult to find Bun Halfpennies are in this sort of condition. Lovely coin!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin - looks like a 14+J2/Freeman 332 I think.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coin - looks like a 14+J2/Freeman 332 I think.

Interesting. I use Spink as guide, but see the Freeman being used as a yardstick more frequently. Which book is this relating to please? Is it 'The Bronze coinage of Great Britain'?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2022  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that's the one - there was a reprint in 2016 which is the most recent version.
I don't think Spink goes into as much detail (though I don't have a Spink so I don't know for sure).
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes that's the one - there was a reprint in 2016 which is the most recent version.

Cheers Mr T. Got this book yesterday. Shame the images are all in black and white, but for reference purposes it looks quite good.

Cheers
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23945 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very little wear. AU-50 and all original.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: