Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help In Identifying This 13th Century Austrian (Corinthia) Coin.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 473Next Topic  
Hungary
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prettycoinshun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello community!
A friend gave me this (attached) coin, and I want to know what it exactly is.
He told me it was used around 11-13th century Carinthia, Austria, most likely around 1250.
Supposedly it is a Silver Friesacher Pfennig, however when googling around for it, not a single exact match comes up.
Can you please tell me what this coin is, when it was issued (year), and optionally who it was used by/issued by?
Would love to see some EXACT copies from others. ( Otherwise I will think this is the coolest coin on the planet, because it is unique.)
Thank you

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Hungary
3 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prettycoinshun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Anybody has any idea? THank you
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be the right person to ask but it's very difficult to see what's on it, because of the photos and the patchy patina. Could you get closer pics and crop them (so the coin fills the photo)?

The top picture seems to have an arrangement of 4 crosses patonce (maybe) but I can't work out what's on the other side at all. Is there any lettering?

Anyway, this seems to be like the reverse (the first image):
Austria. Bernhard Duke of Carinthia (1202-1256). AR Friesacher Pfennig, St. Veit mint, 1202-1256. CNA I. C b 13 https://www.deamoneta.com/auctions/view/638/543
Edited by JohnConduitt
05/26/2022 2:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20731 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Learn More...
United States
23748 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pret, first welcome to CCF. Second, can you please post some nicer images of this coin? We need well-lit, in focus, and cropped please. Thx. This will help to confirm if @john is correct (I suspect he is).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Hungary
3 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prettycoinshun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the gentleman above:
http://goccf.com/t/422372#3636236
It is close for sure, the back seems to be identical, however, the front is not.
It is totally unique, have not seen any similar before.
Please find attached the best pictures I could take with my phone.
Also attached a high effort, low quality Paint highlight of what I see on the coin, I hope it helps you see it too.
Thank you for your help

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you may want to give it a good soak in pure acetone (not fingernail polish) to see if some of that gunk will come off. Then we may get a better look at it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: