Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial - Special Holder For Raw Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 299Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  07:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the past, I've shown a special Capital Plastics holder for the Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar - see it here: 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial - Revisited #2.

Here is another "custom" holder produced by Capital Plastics for one of the classic series' most popular coins/designs - the Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar. In addition to the circular well for the coin, the large format holder also includes background information on the coin printed in "gold" on its front; the back of the insert is blank. The outer dimensions of the holder are 6-15/16" high by 3-31/32" wide.

I've had mine for several years, but I believe the holder is still available; it is/was offered with either a black insert or a white insert.

At some point, I'll pick up an attractive raw example of the Oregon and "fill the hole" in the holder, but, until then, I offer it up for inspection sans coin.

1926 Oregon Trail Memorial Association Half Dollar

Oregon Trail Memorial Association Half Dollar - Capital Plastics Holder

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, including more on the history of the Cleveland half dollar and other Design Discussion Index posts, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/25/2022 07:16 am
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great images on both sides, a definite favorite.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1886 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, one of my favorites!
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't like this coin, then you just don't like coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7811 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking holder commems. I could likely offer up a well circulated Oregon Trail example to fill that hole.

Quote:
The outer dimensions of the holder are X" x Y".

I assume this is a simple typographical oversight where you intended to return to the post and replace the X and Y placeholders with dimensions.

That said - it does give us an opportunity to have fun with the mathematical properties of scaling and proportion (with a little bit of multiplication and dimensional conversion).

Assuming your photos shows the Capital Plastics holder laying flat with the photo taken at 90 degrees to the surface, and knowing that a USA 90% silver half dollar is 30.6mm in diameter - then I estimate your outer dimensions to be .... drumroll please ....

7-1/2" high x 4-1/8" wide.

How did I do?

edit for spgllening
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
05/27/2022 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2315 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've said it before and I'll say it again, @Commems is remarkable in his depth of study on the topic of classic U.S. commemoratives. I enjoy these exonumenical (did I just make that word up ) pieces related to the coins as much as or more than the actual coin (in most cases.) Thank you for another interesting write up.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher: Thanks for alerting me to the omission. Yes, I meant to go back and fill in the dimensions, but somehow missed the fact they were missing when I proofread the piece.

Your guess was close! The actual dimensions are 6-15/16" high by 3-31/32" wide. I think 7" x 4" would be acceptable to most!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The actual dimensions are 6-15/16" high by 3-31/32" wide.
I updated the initial post to include it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I updated the initial post to include it.

Thanks!

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: