Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Changing Coin Designs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  08:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the reasons I love coin collecting is I also love history. I am looking for articles about the reaction of people and the press when new designs were introduced. I am curious how the introduction of coins like the Flying Eagle, Indian cents, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, etc were received. I have looked through The Numismatist archives and found a couple of articles. Anyone have a please to look? Yes, I know, nerd alert!
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one, wish the U.S. coins would go back to classic designs with a representation of liberty rather than depicting famous persons or events. Then again, that was when the U.S. actually promoted liberty.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10517 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this book some years ago at a garage sale. It's an ex-library copy with a publication date of 1976.

The author goes into quite a bit of detail about all the designs of circulating US coins, and in some cases he quotes newspaper reports that describe how changes of design were received at the time.
Edited by NumisRob
05/25/2022 3:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found the book on Amazon, worth getting?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8494 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking only for myself, I'm quite open to the evolution of US coin design--with very few exceptions. Not an enemy of commemoratives.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VegasCoinDude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey my friend:
When using google type what you want the newspaper to mention with " site:news.google.com/newspapers" afterwards.
For instance, I googled " Shield nickel site:news.google.com/newspapers" and clicked on this link: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ,805417
for an article written May 9th, 1966 about the anniversary of the nickel. I'm sure with lots of practice and searching you will be able to find whatever you are looking for. Good luck!
Edited by VegasCoinDude
05/25/2022 5:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10517 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found the book on Amazon, worth getting?

I found it fascinating - I read it cover-to-cover and I still dip into it regularly when I want to read up on a particular US coin series!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: