Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian 1921 Halfpenny - Multiple Strikes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 265Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
90 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  05:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi again,
Another error find, only discovered after washing a ton of glue and pvc gunk of this coin, so apologies for the obvious cleanng.

I was surprised to find multiple instances of impressions of the edge denticles stamped over the reverse side of this coin.

Is there a simple explanation?. I can only figure that a coin was flipped and then stamped into a fresh blank multiple times before coming dislodged and then the final stamp of the blank finished the coin.....if you follow my drift...

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its an offset die clash which has been previously catalogued.
These sorts of clashes are seen on this date especially.
Nice variety coin nevertheless.
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
90 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks echidna
Very interesting. I will investigate more to understand the mechanics of it. Cheers
Learn More...
Australia
14367 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The early 1920s were a tough time for the branch mints in Sydney and Melbourne. They were designed and established to strike gold coins; they were suddenly being called upon to make all of Australia's bronze coins, a much tougher metal than gold and required in much larger numbers. As a result, their equipment kept breaking down much faster than it used to. The ongoing breakdowns and technical difficulties eventually forced the Sydney Mint to close, in 1927. But it does mean that coins of this time period are unusually prone to errors.

An "Offset die clash" can happen when the press being used to make the coin comes apart, probably spectacularly while running at full speed. You wouldn't want to have been standing next to the thing when it happened, but standing next to a high-speed modern coining press while it is running at full speed isn't recommended at the best of times, so probably no-one was injured.

What has happened here is the obverse die (or perhaps a broken piece of the obverse die) has come loose, and slammed into the reverse die at an angle, and considerably off-centre. No coin blank was in between the dies when this happened (the coin blank inserting mechanism had probably also failed in the same event), meaning the dies slammed into each other at full power. This has caused the crenellations visible under the EN of PENNY. What you're actually seeing is the edge rim of the obverse (heads side) that has slammed into the centre of the reverse die, damaging it but not breaking it. The obverse die, if it wasn't already broken before the incident, probably would have shattered by the impact. Anyhow, the press would then have been fixed, reassembled with the damaged reverse die, and put back to work. All coins struck afterwards with this damaged die would therefore demonstrate this same damage.

I'm not familiar enough with this specific error coin to know if the other areas you've highlighted are part of the die damage, or if it's just post-mint damage to the coin itself; the rest of the coin's surface looks quite solidly beat-up and scratched. I suspect the large irregular line running down through ONE and HALF is indeed also part of the damaged die, but I think the other areas are just damage to the coin and thus not part of the "mint error".

But this is indeed a "mint error", or rather a "variety" caused by die damage. Congratulations.

Note: while there is much confusion regarding the definitions of "error" and "variety" in Australian numismatics (especially since the late great Ian McConnelly tended to use those terms interchangeably, much to the annoyance of old-school error and variety collectors), the standard definitions are that an "error" is a defect that happens to an individual coin (like a mis-strike, bitten planchet or brockage); "Errors" are thus unique, in that they have occurred to that one specific coin and there isn't going to be another one exactly like it. A "variety" is like what you have here, where damage to the die causes multiple identical copies of the variety to be made. It's kind of like the difference in art between a painting, and a limited-edition print; the painting is unique, but multiple copies of the print exist.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
90 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap,
That's a very thorough explanation of an offset die clash!
All makes sense now.
The other areas are also the same denticle pattern.If I can improve my photography I shall post some close ups.
I have scoured the net but can't yet find the same variety. Plenty of the "alf" die clash but none of the "en". I'll keep looking.
Thanks again, appreciate the advice.
Cheers
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
90 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An edit to this variety, it is noted in Mike Locke's definitive list of half penny and penny varieties as

"1921 QUADRUPLE offset clash #2, reverse. Unbeleiveable, but subtle error. Clashed denticles seen between "pENny", at a different angle and offset across "haLf", at another angle and offset to the left of P, and yet another to the left of H.
The later two clashes are faint. Clash at "haLf" fades out, chip forms above first 1 in date. Comes with date #3. The faint offset clashes first noted by Don Tomsett
."

Mine has some subtle differences mainly the clash at "haLf" continues up to "oNe"
Also I don't see a chip above either 1 in date.

Cheers

info from https://www.coincommunity.com/go/li...l/aussie.txt
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: