Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874 CC Trade Dollar Authentic

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 369Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin tested good on the sigma for 90% pre silver .
It has a chopmark
Reverse has some PVC but not bad.
Looks maybe F-12?
Question is the CC does not look altered but I have not seen any
1874 CC with this mint Mark.
Does this look real?
Otherwise it looks like A well used Trade dollar to me.
I can return it but only if its in there packaging so I dont have time to send for grading sadly as I have wanted one of these.
I have been looking at graded ones but pricing gets high.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9082 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse has a sandblasted look to it and I don't think it will grade straight. I would wait for a more appealing example. VF details cleaned.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure it has been cleaned though it has decent eye appeal . Authenticity is my main question on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3831 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that the surfaces look somewhat abraded. VF details seems about right. It looks like there are several mintmark varieties for the 1874-CC. This list is from PCGS CoinFacts:

Circulation strikes: Varieties of mintmark sizes have been chronicled as follows:

1. Micro cc: Breen-5786. Mintmark. 74 mm high; .75 mm spacing between C's. Rare.
2. Minute CC: Mintmark .84 mm high; .4 mm spacing between C's.
3. Minute CC: Mintmark .9 mm high; .75 mm spacing between C's.
4. Medium CC: Mintmark 1.1 mm high; .55 mm spacing between C's. Dot on 8 of date on obverse.
5. Medium CC: Mintmark 1.1 mm high; .6 mm spacing between C's. Slight doubled die on reverse.
6. Tall CC: Mintmark 1.17 mm high; .6 mm spacing between C's.

Here's a graded one with the same MM as this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Zurie that mint mark looks close . I must of missed that as I've been looking all over . Coin has quite a few small contact marks though coin is decent in hand but between the chopmark and surface look I'm sure it would detail . Still looks nicer than anything less than 550 on the bay and I paid 385.00
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68924 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an attractive specimen even if genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3624 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark looks fine. I do not see any red flags. F Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up sending it back . Since I was not sure and by the time it gets graded I would be out of luck if it came back non verifiable
Pillar of the Community
United States
1092 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If genuine, I'd kept it, unless you're seeking a BU set.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68924 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good decision.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9082 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you made the right choice. If you are patient, the right one will come along and you will know it when you see it.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-VF Details(heavily schrached)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You really should have had alefzero take a look at it.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave he did , He was not sure either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3831 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like there is a small die gouge at the top of the D in DOLLAR that is also present in the PCGS graded coin, suggesting they are from the same reverse die. But even if it's authentic, I think you were wise to return it and wait for a more attractive example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine but harshly cleaned. F details.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: