Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Unloved Australian 1923 Halfpenny Has Errors.of Course It Does.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
82 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  05:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This poor coin. I originally thought that it had been run over by a train and then attacked with a hammer.

I'm still thinking the train, but maybe not so much the hammer.

On the obverse, there are the obligatory die cracks...no surprises there.
On closer inspection, running under V G . D is an incuse of the reverse side inner circle complete with faint beads. It all measures to scale beautifully. (The dark shape at the upper end is not part of it, just some random holes and damage).
Very hard to see those beads in this pic, in fact impossible. I need to hold the coin at an angle to the light and using a 30x loupe.

In between D . G is an incuse shape, perhaps a letter, too hard to decipher. to the right of the V is an incuse letter, either part of an O or part of a C

On the reverse, either side of the L in COMMONWEALTH are two incuse letters. To the right is an unmistakeable B. Only one B on a penny and that is in BRITT on the obverse. You see where this is headed, in that the letter to the left must then be an R if my error theory is correct.

There a two lumps above H OF, and one above the right arm of the Y.

It gets even more curiouser and curiouser, the deep curved mark that I took for a hammer blow, which ends abrupty under the E in PENNY is exactly the curve of.... you guessed it, a halfpenny. The extension of that curve, that I have marked from the top of the E to the bottom of the H is an optical illusion, just some random marks.

I'm thinking that this story is in many parts, some at the mint and some PMD.

As always, your knowledgable feedback is appreciated in advance.

Cheers

Original and marked up pics below.

Edited by ttkoo
05/27/2022 05:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8483 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If coins could talk...
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
82 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If coins could talk...

Edited by ttkoo
05/27/2022 5:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1246 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that its a 1923 half penny I think your story could be possible. Still the PMD is obviously a shame on such a coin but I think it may have had lamination flaw to begin with.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
82 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ryurazu, thanks for the feedback. I think you're correct regarding the lamination flaw.

If the coin has mirror image incused letters stamped here and there, is that due to brockage?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Edited by ttkoo
05/30/2022 6:57 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: