Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Grading Would You Give For This 1930 Penny?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,290Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
237 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreeing with the comments above.

Just reading Dr Google.....The R in Britt.....the second leg looks rounded off as would be seen on the English Obverse. The Indian Obverse has a more upward curved end with a point. As only a couple of of London Obverse 1930 pennies have been sighted and authenticated that would put the chance of this being genuine at around 1500 to 1.
XAG, I don't imagine that you have the coin "in hand". But it would be worth the exercise in checking some of the known markers for a real 1930 against this specimen.

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
795 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to waste time on this Coin,the zero in 1930 tells all.

Anyone using that letter to sell this Coin will be up for Fraud in NSW & Qld,and I think Vict.,not sure about the other States.
Edited by Basil
06/18/2022 8:26 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
237 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you possibly suggest a respected industry grader to take the coin to have it graded and authenticated?

I am located in Adelaide and Queensland. Many thanks

.XAG, back to your original question, I take it you're fly in fly out.
If you're in Adelaide on break, and Mawson Lakes is not out of your way, drop in to The Purple Penny. Have a chat with Mark and he will put you straight. I took a swag of stuff to him and he was straight up about what I had. Mark is also a member of this CoinCommunity.
Their website will give you the info you need about location and opening hours.
Australia
20 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
904 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin pictured is not the coin that came with the letter
Pillar of the Community
Australia
795 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin pictured is not the coin that came with the letter

Yes,old scam,i have a magazine from the 1960's where tricksters used a letter to sell fake 1923 halves in Sydney.
They had a letter of authenticity from a well known Dealer for a genuine 1923 and used that to sell the fakes.
They had an ad in the SMH on a Saturday and moved the Coins on a Sat. afternoon or Sunday and gone by Monday so there was no way for the buyers to check.
They came unstuck when a Dealer smelt a rat and took a photo of the 2 sellers,not only that he had the private number of the Dealer who provided the LoA .
Edited by Basil
07/09/2022 8:42 pm
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XAG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update.

Thanks to everyone for their input. So I ended up passing on this particular example due mainly to time constraints regarding having the coins authenticity verified and graded. The coin did end up selling for 6k to another buyer. Whether this particular coin was authentic or not is something I guess we'll never know.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Edited by XAG
07/12/2022 9:27 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
237 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
only $6,000
another red flag
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good on you XAG.

You made a wise decision. Best to err on the side of caution. The right coin will come along eventually.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3351 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting discussion/input...great numismatic education. Thank you all.

KK
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: