Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Signatures On El Salvador Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 344Next Topic  

United Kingdom
48 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  05:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently picked up a 1 colon note from El Salvador (P115a) as I liked the simplicity of the design. As my 2014 copy of The Banknote Book doesn't include El Salvador and my copy of SCWPM only includes some info I was hoping that you could all help out in identifying the signatures.

There are two sets of signatures on the front of the note and the president appears to be Edgardo Suarez Contreras - any ideas for the other two?

There are also two different signatures on the back - I am going with Juan S. Quinteros for the first and Jorge A. Dowson for the second?

Any help on print numbers and signatures for El Salvador would be much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1740 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are two sets of signatures on the front of the note and the president appears to be Edgardo Suarez Contreras - any ideas for the other two?

-This is a good question. I wish we had more info to go on too. If you look at the banknote museum, there are yearly variations to P-115 (with little elaboration & no change in the P-code):
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c...tm#1971-1974
The signatures appear the same for 1971 to 1974 & change on the 1975 version (as you've shown with the inserted pictures). You would think that Krause would have designated the 1975 (new signature) as P-115b? But the SCWPM is pretty vague with P-115.

Each year there were many dates issued & often these dates remain missing (obscure to us) since they only can only be reported IF collectors submit them.

In 1975, the size of the back seal changes from:

to the much smaller seal (on left) as seen here:

It would be interesting to know exactly (Month/Series) when the seal size actually changed to the small size. (Was there a change-over series?)

It would also be nice to know if there was any overlap in the issue of P-115 to P-120. Other countries have issued similar dated notes (but from different printers) so it would be nice to know if that occurred with these two versions of the 1 Colon (since we have records of P-115 going to 1977 which weren't reported in SCWPM & the SCWPM has P-120 dated for 1974 but there appears to be no notes until 1977).
United Kingdom
48 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater - many thanks for comments. This prompted me to look into El Salvador notes in more detail, so for Pick 115a I think the Series are:-

GN - GW
QA - QJ
HQ - HZ
PK - PT
IA - IJ
UB - UK
EF - EO
RK and RL

Serial numbers suggest that 1 million notes per series so a total of 72 million notes, so I would guess your notes are Series HY and UJ. Linking series to the extra dates on the back is proving a bit more challenging and some Series have more than one date so I wouldn't be surprised if there are about 100 dates!

I too would have expected P115a and P115b.

I think Quinteros is Series G, Q, H, P and I - also the large seal. Dowson is Series U, E and R - which is the small seal. There is also a variation in the position of the seal and the signature within each set.

The earliest date I have for the small seal is Series UB (first of Series U) 1975 September 02. The one before that I have a record of is Series IJ (last of Series I) with a date of 1975 June 16 and this is a big gap compared to other adjacent series which suggests there are some more Series IJ dates or maybe earlier dates for Series UB?

I am now working through the other 1 colon issues and the other denominations - I am mad
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1740 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is great info!

I am wondering how you came to the conclusion that each series is 1,000,000 when notes have a 7 digit serial # (which would imply nearly 10,000,000 - 1)? Are there just 10 series denominators (2nd letter of the 2 letter prefixes)? In other words, would series UB run from 0000001 to 0100000 and then UC be 0100000 to 0200000?

So, if we could correct the P code it would be more like:
Front issued date 1971 + Quinteros signature + Large seal = P-115a
GN - GW
QA - QJ
HQ - HZ
PK - PT
IA - IJ

Front issued date 1972 + Dowson signature + small seal - P-115b
UB - UK
EF - EO
RK and RL

BTW: this is the highest RL I have seen ( a screenshot from eBay):
United Kingdom
48 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think each first letter corresponds to a 10 million block, with the second letter accounting for 1 million within that block. So RL 0000001-1000000 and then RK 1000001-2000000. I have no record for RM onwards so I have stopped at RK for the moment and the note you mentioned with RK S/N 1369086 is the highest number I have seen. All of the serial numbers I am aware of fit this pattern.

It looks like the change in date on the front 31st August 1971 to 24th October 1972 doesn't correspond to the signature change on the back - typical

Front issued date 1971 + Quinteros signature + Large seal =
GN - GW
QA - QJ
HQ - HZ
PK - PT

Front issued date 1972 + Quinteros signature + Large seal =
IA - IJ

Front issued date 1972 + Dowson signature + small seal =
UB - UK
EF - EO
RK and RL

So I guess this would be 115a, 115b, 115c?

So was the front 1971 date a 40 million note run? was the 1972 front date run also 40 million but only 32 million issued - what happened to the rest of Series R? Surely the print runs would be the same?

For this I am assuming the front date change is also the change from Series P to Series I but I don't yet have an example of PT and IA to confirm this.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1740 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your summary of 3 series (115a; 115b & 115c) is the type of info collectors need. It would be great to make a suggestion to the banknote book & the online resources (like Numista & banknote museum).

The other thing it implies is that P-115b is the shortest series:
Front issued date 1972 + Quinteros signature + Large seal =
IA - IJ
(this would be the 10M series to keep an eye on). Also the RK/RL (c) which looks to be the tail end of P-115.

Quote:
So was the front 1971 date a 40 million note run? was the 1972 front date run also 40 million but only 32 million issued - what happened to the rest of Series R? Surely the print runs would be the same?

-My best guess is that the 1971 (a) series is a 40M run. The 1972 "IA-IJ" Quinteros (b) series would be 10M short series & the Dowson (c) series would be 22M & short too, but the RL series would be the toughest.
United Kingdom
48 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your summary of 3 series (115a; 115b & 115c) is the type of info collectors need. It would be great to make a suggestion to the banknote book & the online resources (like Numista & banknote museum).

I have considered the BNB etc however I think I still need to fill some gaps in. From an initial look at the other issues P115 looks fairly straightforward

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: