Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Self-Check Out/Conversion To Cashless Commerce: Any Opinions?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,126Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  11:35 am Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Somebody over on one of the other forums started a good thread on Ontario's rapid switch to self check-outs & cashless businesses popping up.

Anybody care to share what its like in their area, town, city, province?

I went to a Value Village (discount store) in the GTA region & was pretty shocked to see all the check-outs converted. There was only one self check-out that took cash while the rest were debit/credit.

IMO: this rapid conversion to self-check out using debit/credit (likely done during store closures) does not bode well for the future of using cash. Let us know your observations/feelings...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8261 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cashless - yup always wanted someone knowing everything about what I buy, when, where, and from whom.

Sad. Very sad.

Bodes badly for our hobby for sure.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cashless is all well and good if you are in a position to have a bank account or at least a funded debit card.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3707 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
our self check-out at metro in St. Thomas, has 6 self check-outs,all of them will take cash, debit, credit or gift cards, and we still have a coin star machine..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4532 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Ottawa, most of the chains have a self-checkout option. However, self or not I would say that 90% of sales are by credit or debit. Aside from coin purchases, I haven't used cash in years. It's the credit card cash back that turned me off cash-sorry to say.
'
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cashless - Don't care. Most of my purchases are on Paypal, use credit card or ACH.. Not worried about people knowing what I buy.
Self-checkout - Always avoid them. Seems like they are trying to make me their employee with no pay. Need more of these types of jobs for people to earn a little extra money.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to see some varied perspectives as it has been crickets around the CDN forum recently.

Any other opinions?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
665 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually pay with card. Some self checkouts, like Metro as noted above, do have a cash option. I find the self check outs faster if I'm buying a few items, but more than a few I much prefer going to a cashier. These people were actually trained to do this stuff. I don't see cash disappearing any time soon. I've heard that still one-third of transactions in Canada are done with it.

These machines don't seem to be causing mass unemployment. In fact maybe we need more. In a recent weekend trip I took both the hotel and two restaurants I went to were short of staff.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer self-check and e-payment with my phone. I want to get in, get my stuff, and get out fast.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I prefer self-check and e-payment with my phone.

Not me:

I bought lunch at Costco today & had to pay using my debit card. (There is no cash payment allowed). It wasn't an expensive lunch & I really hate using my card for small petty cash transactions like that. Besides collecting my food, no human contact whatsoever.

I realize they did this for a reason (good ol' pandemic) but I have to say it sure puts me off having lunch there again.

I also find it hard to believe there's only a few of us who are disturbed/put off by this trend.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also find it hard to believe there's only a few of us who are disturbed/put off by this trend.
I have been dreaming about this (cashless, contact-less, human-less) trend since I first saw food replicators on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been dreaming about this (cashless, contact-less, human-less) trend since I first saw food replicators on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Don't worry jbuck, I'm sure Jeffrey Preston Bezos (& his crew) are working on mass producing those food replicators as we type & hit "reply."
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't worry jbuck, I'm sure Jeffrey Preston Bezos (& his crew) are working on mass producing those food replicators as we type & hit "reply."

Come to think... Alexa already lets me order pizza...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just love this!

Rogers network outage across Canada hits banks, businesses & consumers
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/08/rog...nsumers.html

It's been on the news all day showing grumpy commuters unhappy that they didn't get their java fix (what happens when you rely on networks/don't bring cash).
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good reason to have redundant ISPs. We have three at my corporate office. One fiber, one coax, and one wireless (to be clear, from three different companies).

I technically have two at the house (WFH) since I can use my mobile as a hot-spot.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I could not get to the internet. To my point, if it ever happened, not getting coffee would be the least of my troubles.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A good reason to have redundant ISP

From my understanding their system is down but other ISP's were working. It's just that Rogers is one of the 3 major ISP's and the biggest player when it comes to phone & other electronic payments. They also own some smaller ISP's & there were many ripple effects. My wife told me that several stores that take digital payment only (with no cash options as discussed in this thread) were forced to remain closed today.

They still don't know the cause of the system failure & are still trying to restore the system as of this time tonight (05:00am Friday until 10:38pm Friday 7/8) according to a spokesperson from Rogers on CBC news.
Edited by walk2dwater
07/08/2022 10:44 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,126Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: