Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1866 5c Shield Nickel With Rays #16

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  8:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one seemed particularly well struck for this busy design. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19688 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptional quality of a scarce type. I agree: well struck.
Part circumferential die crack at top of reverse.

I admit that I don't know lots about this type but
I suspect that the die crack is the result of the Mint was still learning how to get extended die life out of a harder (CuNi) coin alloy
Thus, I also suspect that the Mint would be tempted to lower the striking pressure for a slight loss in detail on the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one of my favorite type coins. this one is nicely struck. it not easy to get a fully struck shield with all star centers present and fully defined rays. this is a nice example. I'm having a hard time narrowing down the grade. I have it at a nice AU58 or MS. I'm really leaning towards MS62 as I think the reverse eye appeal will hold it back from a 63 plus what looks like circulation on the 5 looks like cabinet rub to me. I'm not seeing any obverse signs of circulation
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23914 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any wear on it. MS-62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at AU58 as there appears to be some circulation rub.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late to the party, but that is a very well struck example. Nice one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
590 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin-, good purchase
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin and very well struck. Congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19688 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If well struck with high die pressure, (as this example appears to be),
then shortened die life, especially at a time when CuNi was being introduced into the coinage system.

To my way of thinking, it follows that well struck examples (and in higher grades), of this type must be scarce.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, I'm shocked. to me the wear looked like cabinet rub to me and I'm not seeing anything even close to wear on the obv. this coin is better than 55. if they see the 5 as wear then this coin is no less than AU58. the only other thing I see is the field around the 5 but I'm not seeing any corresponding wear on the rays which is typically where you would see it first along with the 5. I would not be happy with that grade. from what I'm seeing, CAC graded coins are in demand and this one is worthy of a gold bean at that grade imo.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: