Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 O Morgan With Small But Serious Dark Spot.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 247Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  3:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a recent purchase of mine. It is an otherwise decent looking Morgan, but has an unusually dark, small spot above the date. It almost looks like someone touched an electric probe to it. It isn't toning in my opinion. And, worse, it appears they attempted to "scratch away" the spot with a needle or very small brush.

With all that said, my question is not really what grade you would give this coin but rather, does this type of problem make the coin uncollectible or does it just reduce the grade? As always, since we know to "buy the coin", perhaps some ( like me) will find it offensive and others may not?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3621 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The damage hurts the value of the coin, and when it comes time to sell, the coin will most likely have to be discounted. A damaged common date Morgan is not something that a typical collector wants in their collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that just a spot? Almost looks like a small puncture.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23893 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this is damage or a planchet flaw. It looks concave. If it's a flaw the coin should straight grade MS-63.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments. All very interesting. For sure it is not a puncture, at least not all the way through. I did not pick at it with a needle but maybe I should do so, carefully, and see how deep it goes. I believe it is in fact concave though.

I'm going to buy a better micro CAM soon and I'll likely take some better photos once that arrives.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The irregular shape and slight brownish discoloration makes me wonder if this was caused by a couple drops of acid.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever it is, if it's concave, this is a flawed specimen of a common date and just a bullion-tracker.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12199 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the strike is decent for the this year at the N.O. mint as there is some good definition around the ear and breast. quite a few scratches and scuffs from banging around in bag at one point in its life.

the spot does look concave. looking closely at it I'm seeing a perfectly round hole on the left side of it. I cant be 100% certain but to me it looks like this was done intentionally

I'm MS63 details (damaged) and yes it will affect value. the 84O is a common coin available in higher grades at a reasonable price so it may not be something a collector would want to place in their collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3825 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look like a planchet flaw because whatever caused the damage affected the surrounding surface in a symmetric halo. Maybe heat or chemical damage? Hard to know, but it looks like it would be a details coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: