Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK Longcross Silver Coin Hammered Id?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 595Next Topic  

United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hughwp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this coin in a job lot can anyone id it looks like a longcross coin?

weight is 2.4g

Edited by hughwp
06/22/2022 5:40 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While your find does appear to be an English long cross coin, there are a few features that make me think it is a forgery. The first is the obverse of your coin. The beginning mark for the text appears to be similar to a cross, while coinage from the period is marked by stars. If you look at the face on the coin, it only seems to have one curl of hair per side. This is what some early long cross coins looked like, the other features contradict that age as they have components of at least two other types of long cross coins. The lettering also doesn't seem to match anything I can find, another key to forgeries. The weight also seems off, but could simply be a scale error. Originals average around 1.43g while yours is a heavy 2.4g. With that being said, still a cool find and.
By no means am I an expert in UK coinage, so please do correct me if I'm incorrect and you are more versed in them.
I'd be proud of the find no matter if it is original or a forgery. If it does prove to be fake, it is still an excellent example of a forged hammered coin. Keep hunting!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
812 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the photos Hugh. Appears to be Edward I, London.
However I'm a bit concerned by the mark below the king's bust which looks a little like that to the left of the crown in the pic I've added.

The second is a souvenir replica that is sold in the shops of places like stately homes/ castles made by Westair

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be fake, as there are 3 layers of detail on reverse for Halfgroats and groats.

Weight is too heavy and looks crude despite being very shiny.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, another souvenir shop replica, and a poor one at that.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Could you show us the original eBay listing you bought from in which these were described as antique coins? You should still have a link to it in your email.
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir_Nummalot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a fake, ell it had me going for a bit there..looks well polished to me...
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hughwp - you are buying and showing a lot of fakes.

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
24271 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@prince, you can see that I have removed quite a bit of your last post as it was overly harsh. Please don't make me ban you completely from CCF. I'm trying very hard not to, but you are definitely trying my patience.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hughwp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got a full refund from the seller I don't think he knew what he was selling
Here is link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155033248456
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 595Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: