Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Lincoln How Do I Know If It's A SMS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  06:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flash313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3108 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally can't tell the difference, you won't find them in circulation, not a coin I'd recommend spending to much time in learning about unless you wanted to purchase it.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flash313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your advice but when I read up on it had a lot of similar things going on and it was in my grandfather's collection so I figured I asked also it said square like ring and satin finish but also not a proof though

Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is just a normal business strike. 1964 sms coins are just not out there to be found. All known have come from one source and all of those have been slabbed. They were not released to the public in any way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8531 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the pics posted, I'm seeing a standard business strike '64 cent in (possibly) mid-AU condition. A photo of the reverse could tell us more. At worst, the coin would be a decent album hole filler until better comes along.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9133 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the quality and angles of the images of this coin, it is next to evaluate this coin for just about anything. IF this were a valuable coin as you suggest, if it were me, I would not be placing it on ANY hard surface that could possibly damage it and greatly reduce the inherent value of it. (That goes for any coin I'm studying in fact). So far it just looks like a normal business strike coin and NOT an SMS.

Quote:
Currently the PCGS Population report shows 22 Lincoln cents, 18 Jefferson nickels, 22 dimes and 28 Kennedy half dollars graded as 1964 SMS. Some of these population figures may be inflated since some of the coins may have been cracked out and resubmitted in hopes of an upgrade. However, even if the population figures were close to the actual coins in existence the supply would be extremely limited compared to their popular demand. Many collectors who are collecting the Lincoln cent series up to the Kennedy half dollar series would love to own an example of these special coins. Significantly, there are also many collectors who love to own mysterious coins with a suspenseful history behind them, and the 1964 SMS coins definitely fit this category.

The 1964 SMS coins are extremely scarce, but more are believed to be out there. It is strongly recommended you purchase coins already graded by PCGS since our experts are well aware of the discernable differences in regular issue mint state or proof coins compared to the special 1964 SMS coins. Also remember that our guaranty of authenticity is the best insurance you can have when owning extremely scarce and significant coins.

as stated above all SMS sets have been slabbed already and reside in high end collections.

Quote:
Furthermore, it is believed these SMS coins came into existence somehow through the involvement of Eva Adams, U.S. Mint Director at the time. After Eva Adams passed away, her estate was sold off and well-recognized dealer and auctioneer Lester Merkin is believed to have bought many of the coins from her estate. Lester Merkin's collection would then be sold in a Stack's auction in the early 1990s, including some, if not all, of the known 1964 SMS coins.

Also considering that the coins have only recently been discovered (1993)

Quote:
Recently, a complete set of these compelling coins was submitted to PCGS for grading. Viewing some of these intriguing and eye-rewarding coins is definitely one of the great benefits of having thousands of coins pass though our graders' hands every single day. Today, many experts believe there are anywhere from 20 to 50 sets in existence in all grades combined, making these coins very scarce. Many of the 1964 SMS coins could have also been lost, damaged or even tossed aside since their mysterious status was only somewhat solved by early 1993, almost 30 years after they were initially produced.

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flash313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you my grandpa had it put up in one of the desser in a box Yeah the story I read up on it it's crazy but if I would of got it back through change I wouldn't of even ask I know it that rare
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58089 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There real ones have a lathe issue on the steps:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/23/2022 3:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8819 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cherish it because your Grandfather kept it. It's not the super rare SMS, just a nice coin.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flash313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the picture of the back you guys thank you again for your input and advise
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58089 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die that struck your coin was not a fresh die, like all the SMS dies were.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/27/2022 5:21 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: