Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Half. Are These The Same Coin?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,124Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The majority of coin errors we see here, if indeed were errors, would fetch at best only a few dollars. We would love to see real errors, not just pocket change guesses. Most beginners approach the hobby backwards and hope every coin they have are error coins. They search for errors everywhere, from the floor of their 7-11 to the free cent tray at the gas station. Looking for error coins this way is disappointing because rarely is an error coin found.

A better approach would be to learn how coins are made and buy a couple of boxes of cents from the bank. Look through hundreds and thousands of coins and look for anything unusual. Error coins are difficult to find, error coins are rare! Not every coin is an error coin! Learn what an error should look like and know when you find one, don't guess! In addition to sorting cents, look through older pages of coins here on CCF, a totally free and valuable resource! Ask questions and learn the glossary of error coins. We are really happy to help you out, but we can't do the work for you. All the experts here will tell you the same thing, this hobby is hard to learn, but very rewarding. Rewarding rarely in riches, but in knowledge gained and in sharing with others. There are no shortcuts and as I said, not every coin is an error coin, but they are out there!
ça va bien aller

Edited by merclover
06/25/2022 02:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, fair question. First, the surfaces are very different between the two, the one on the left has a more "textured" surface, the one on the right is much smoother. There are more visible marks on the left coin, but it is hard to tell if they are contact marks or die defects from the pictures. There is one though on the left coin, through the G in GOD that definitely looks to be a die marker. The other coin does not have this, so it is from a different die or at least different die state.
Valued Member
Indonesia
96 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover straight and clear explaination.
Edited by Solo
06/25/2022 05:25 am
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coolmobd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please follow my reasoning here. Can we agree it's not a proof coin? It's definitely not mirror like

Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coolmobd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case someone actually got interested the top right coin is a regular business strike. I think we can agree it's not the same. The bottom. Left coin is a proof coin. It's not quite like that one either.....right? So if it's not either or? What coin is it? That was my last question and I'd like to thank you guys again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3996 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which coin is in question here? And what was the question
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coolmobd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please categorize the coin in question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one labeled coin in question looks like a normal business strike to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(I don't do halves much but guess I was right when I was wondering if the point of this thread was looking for an SMS half.)
The coins in your first image are not struck from the same dies.

(See the comparison I put together from your image.)
The finishes are different, your coin has multiple die scratches/dings, and the folds in the upper left part of the ear seem to be different as well. (I don't think it is the lighting or quality of the images making the coins appear dfferent.)

Interesting about your grandfather and hope this reply helps.
It sounds like an interesting group of coins, so I hope you will find more to post.

(ps. And I understand your frustration but let us know if you really want straight answers? We tend to like straight (non-trick) questions.

There is a lot of "reactive knowledge" on this forum where members know the answer because they've been collecting and helping answer questions for a long time. We would love to be on a thread that turns out to have an authentic SMS coin or two.

But we get questions about SMS coins about once a week and the answer isn't what the poster wants to hear. Newer collectors want more details and explanations as to why. It can take a lot of time to put a reply together that makes sense to newer collectors.

FWIW- We aren't very receptive when we feel like we've been played or manipulated with trick questions.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Icutler that the coin in question is a business strike.

(Not a proof and not an SMS.)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coolmobd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you fellas.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,124Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: