Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Dollar NSF - Errors Both Sides

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 755Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
673 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  12:26 pm Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was having a look at what might be a struck-through mark in the waterlines in front of the canoe and found a die crack close by instead (not sure if the mark was a struck-through or a scrape). Looked some more and found another die crack at the back of the canoe.

Flipped it over,

and found some strange things; extra metal in various letters and a die crack in ABE. Also a tiny crack on the T of GRATIA.

Would the extra metal be a result of plating coming off of the die ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I see a die crack across the bottom of Elizabeth from Z to T.
MD on the devices.
Possible rolling lines or polishing marks on the field.
Extra metal coming off the die, most likely, no.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4452 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the MD and small D/C's
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16209 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And neither are considered errors.
Learn More...
Canada
10223 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Flat field doubling on the obverse.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
673 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SPP !
I had to look up "flat field doubling" and found out it's caused from the second strike on a proof coin being slightly mis-aligned and leaving part of the previous strike. WOW, I've got a proof-like 1953 dollar !
PL-62 ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
995 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first saw the coin in the original post I remembered having a coin with die cracks at the front and rear of the canoe.
At first I thought my coin was the same as Terry's coin above but after a closer look it appears to be a different die all together.
Note this coin is a short water line variety where Terry's has full water lines also the exact locations of the die cracks.

Cheers, Bill

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 755Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: