Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Philadelphia Cent, Weakly Struck?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I normally don't see older American cents that are red like this, it looks MS to me but my Lincoln grading isn't great. The obverse and reverse seems very poorly struck.

My question is this normal for this year? It's the best one iv found grade wise but just weak details. It's rare to see em over 50 and red over here in Canadian rolls.

I'll post it in the grading section once I can figure out my lighting for pictures. These are daylight outside natural pics, the third Is inside with artificial lighting, I need a diffuser I think.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45886 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a weak strike,the rims are full. Worn die issue?Maybe a minor Greaser?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
06/24/2022 6:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70476 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some grease effects apparent on both sides, nothing really unusual.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense, but I'm more asking about grade. Don't think my pics are good enough really though. Anyways considering I'm assembling a set from the odd Canadian roll I can get and the odd American cent in them it was a nice upgrade. My American cent set is a work in progress.

Also found a 3-4 wheat cents but I'll post them later.
Edited by Wrekkdd
06/24/2022 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The daylight images are fine,however you shouldn't hold your coins to photograph them for two reasons... the first being the focus plane is shallow so it's best to lay your coins down on a hard surface and photograph them from above for equal sharpness across your coin. The second reason is possible transfer of oils from your skin. I'll send you a pair of cotton gloves to avoid possible problems. Your indoor photos are tinted yellowish from the colour temperature of your indoor lighting. You can't see this in-person, but your camera can. Best to stick to the daylight lighting since that seems to be working best for you. I'm hesitant to assign a grade because of the holding focus problem. Overall not a bad looking coin considering you plucked it from outside the States from the wild.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a photo box with lighting I need to set up, I'll try that next. I know I should be more careful and use gloves, I will be upgrading 95% of my cent collection eventually so this is a nice little filler(stands out because most pre 1980 cents I find are brown) so I don't worry to much about lower value coins. That said it's be as t to respect your coins by handling them with care, I guess if the next pictures have a finger print I was to careless.

I'll be going across the border at some point which is when I'll buy some older cents and maybe be able to search through some boxes of American cents.

I'll post some updated photos when I get a chance, going to be busy rolling all the change for the contest for the next big:p.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12608 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the coin looks circulated from the photos. reverse strike looks like struck through some grease. maybe AU55
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24597 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A circulated coin. AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's rare to even get cent rolls over here let alone find a AU cent over 59 ye as rs old from the states, I'm sure if I was living in the USA id have a mint state set going back to the 69s at least and could probably do that mostly roll hunting:p
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18069 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  01:18 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They made billions and tended to over-use the working dies. Even the master dies and hubs had wear, they are never sharp. Appears to have a filled die on the reverse along the cornice, pretty typical.

Appears to have very light wear, AU-58.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18069 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my 1973, the best one I could find in years of searching. It's just a crappy issue but this one is about as good of a strike as you can find. It gives you a good idea about the condition of the hubs and dies for Philly in 1973.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
06/26/2022 01:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18069 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some angled shots I took before the airtite to capture the subtle toning. They work well for showing what an EDS example looks like for the issue.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
06/26/2022 01:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18069 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This another nice example I found (different coin). Some of the most complete steps I've seen, very well struck EDS example.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
06/26/2022 01:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BadThad, I'll make sure not to be to picky with this year when looking for an upgrade, looks like just finding one with full steps would be tough enough.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: