Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1990 Kennedy Half Dollar. Misplaced Mint Mark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 600Next Topic  

Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  07:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jmclean to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey there, it's my first post but I've used this site for research and information previously. There was a posting on here from years ago regarding 1990 Kennedy half dollar with the mint mark seeming to be lower than it should be. Someone in that discussion mentioned that 1990 is the first year that the mint marks were not punched in by hand so they thought that's odd for it to be out of place. Anyways I found that discussion because I believe I have the same type of coin the author was describing and just wanted to try and gather information or learn anything about this, I will post link to other discussion and post pictures of my coin. Thank you.

http://goccf.com/t/216170

Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your "P" is definitely lower than shown in @coop's example from the 7-year-old thread. Interesting. Perhaps he can weigh in again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16209 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF

Would you also show a photo of the complete coin, sometimes this is important.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3811 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://varietyvista.com/Watershead%20Dates.htm

According to VarietyVista, the Mint did not begin to engrave the mintmark on the master dies for half dollars (and dimes and quarters) until 1991. So the mintmark placement could vary on 1990 half dollars as they would have been added to the die by hand.

I believe Coop's graphic is incorrect.
Edited by Tanman2001
06/25/2022 10:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16209 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read the same thing somewhere (can't remember where) as Tanman2001 is referring to
so I did a little research and found two other 1990 half dollars with the mm in different
positions and both different from the OP's half which leads me to believe they were
hand punched at least part way through the year.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59516 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or with dies created without the some mintmarks punched into them. On the example of the OP's coin, they are both in the same location. But Remeber the 1990 Cents with out the mintmark on them:

The design is supposed to be on the dies design. So some die examples may have been made, pre this decision. That would explain why some are like that. (They probably figured no one would notice?) JimmyD's image shows the punched in example. Note the field is even dented on that area. So they might have had some dies create without the mintmarks.
(Seems like there are always exceptions to the rules?)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2213 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More food for thought. Thanks, Doug.
https://doubleddie.com/58201.html
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In JimmyD's examples, the top coin, you can see that the MM was punched in too heavy and left a depression around it - which makes me believe that the statements are correct and the MM was hand punched for this year.
Edited by Dearborn
06/25/2022 1:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sleuthing @tanman and I think OP's question has been answered. There is still leeway on the MM position for the 1990 halves.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jmclean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information and for the welcomes, I appreciate it and its brilliant to have everyone's resources and knowledge help us understand and learn these things so efficiently. Here's a picture of the full coin for those who mentioned about that, ill make sure to post full coins in future posts.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 600Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: