Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1884 S A VAM 10 Possibility?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 321Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  1:53 pm Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I went ahead and bought this 1884 S and it just arrived today. I had asked the forum in a previous post if it looked cleaned and most said not. I took some new pics this morning and I do not think it has been cleaned, at least not recently. So I'm happy so far.

Next, on to the grading. I paid pricing that would be reasonable for an upper end AU53 . If it grades 53 I break even and have a nice addition to the collection. If it grades AU55 or higher, I'm a happy camper.

I know my eyes at this time are stricken with hopeful optimism, but I think some TPG's would even give it a low MS grade. But, even 58 would be great price wise.

The fields and most of the devices have what appear to be original mint satin surface, plus the bag marks. There is obviously softness in the hairlines above Anna's ear and a bit on the eagle's breast but I have seen plenty of Morgans that look quite similar, graded MS60-62 with the softness apparently being attributed to a weak strike.

Lastly, one of the reasons I wanted to buy it is because in the sellers photo I thought I saw doubling on the date and the stars to the left of the date. There are definitely raised "extra lines of metal" that rise at the top's of the 1 and the two 8's. The two stars that are furthest to the right ( on the left side of the date) also show raised metal or doubling.

As always, my apologies for the photo quality. I need to put the purchase of a new CAM at the top of my priority list.

So, anyone want to join me in my fantasy and hope that I've found an 1884 S MS61 VAM 10 ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3976 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very far date, maybe VAM-11 with a die chip on the 4.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell which VAM it is based on the current listings and available photos on research sites.

But I assume you have been told this before. I would be wary of this series which is a grade rarity and a coin that "appears" to be high grade and not already in a TPG holder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to see surfaces clearly enough to say if it has not been messed with. Looks about AU-53 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3976 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like mid-AU sharpness to me as well.

It has the die markers for VAM-11, and the date position is correct.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I appreciate your input.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I'm not being redundant, but I did get the new Tomlov camera setup that was discussed in a different forum. It works better than what I was using before, so thought I'd repost some new pics of that same 1884 S and see if this makes it any easier to tell if this is a vary far date VAM 11. And, again, to me it looks like there is some doubling on the stars and there is extra raised metal at the top of the 1 and the first 8.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: