Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA Two Cents From 1872

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 556Next Topic  

Israel
37 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think about this one?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF maybe AU details (either cleaned or improper storage)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70434 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High AU details (ED, cleaned).

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9119 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the 1872 2c is a very scarce and expensive coin. I am not sure but the coin looks suspicious. The details indicate a very high grade, but the coin has several flaws, color differences in different areas in patches, a little verdigris, etc. Other parts of the coin look lustrous. This needs a look by an expert of the series for authentication.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com - Help me improve my coin e-commerce website: http://goccf.com/t/424872
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24588 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with NS, something looks off with this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2088 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 Details Cleaned

No luster, lacking original surfaces. Very good detail remaining, and a better date as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not sure but the coin looks suspicious

NS. that thought crossed my mind but then on second look there is verdigris on the obv under the date and around the edges of the bottom of the shield. my question is do they counterfeit a coin and add verdigris? I dont see enough fake copper to know if they do or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8038 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and retoned at the very least.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4160 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No expert on the series, but I'll say low AU Details, ED and Cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
4660 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, questionable color and possible ED.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8874 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does have 90% of the diagnostics for a real coin. The only things I don't like are the lack of die cracks there are at least 3 obverse and 2 reverse die pairs that I know of, and this matches neither on the reverse, it of course could be a really early die state where cracks have not formed yet. I think better focused reverse photos could convince me better one way or the other.

Grade appears to be mid AU and probable recolor from an old cleaning (not done well). Of course my opinion is only worth my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: