Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2010 P Hot Spring Arkansas Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 500Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
329 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, something special today for your inspection. A 2010 P Hot Spring Arkansas Quarter which I believe is a special strike, satin finish (one of 583,000) intended for an uncirculated mint set from the US Mint. How did I acquire such a special quarter you might ask, and how do I know it is what I am speculating the coin is? Simple, looking at the coin it's not as shiny as normal so the finish obviously is new to me (I look at many Quarters and this one was different). Second the reverse was highly detailed (take a look at the pics) and finally yet importantly there are two marks on the obverse, one on Washington's head above the eye and another on the U in UNITED. The coin somehow was broken out of the mint set and ended up in circulation because it has other circulation hits on the rim of the reverse and a small crack to the P in Spring. I looked at PCGS pictures to verify the finish and to my eye it appears to be a satin finish. So I know I can't verify my suspicion unless I send it to NCG or PCGS to have it looked at, but I'm too cheap to do that! So I'll throw it open to you guys and see what you suggest. Regards all, and have fun.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area on the face right in front of the eye looks very strange to me. Possible over polishing to the eye area?
As for the 2 locations you are asking about, it could be circulation damage or a strike through. Can you provide some close-up images of these areas?
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn had this guy in a flip but pried it outfor the close ups. Regards

Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could have come from some special set, or maybe just environmental conditions have altered the surface somehow. I don't think there is any added value here.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover read my post. I think this coin was in a special mint set, that was damaged somehow and placed in circulation. Looking for a opinion. Regards!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could have come from some special set

I acknowledged it could havecome form a special set.

Quote:
maybe just environmental conditions have altered the surface somehow

Opinion provided.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Merclover. Regards.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58884 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hardly a difference in images on these:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop Looking to see if I got one of the 580,000 + issued. It would be a find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58884 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are probably not spent. Still sitting in their holders in a safe somewhere.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: