Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875-CC 20c Double Dime

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,020Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
9182 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first Carson City double dime. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
06/26/2022 4:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4080 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF-30, old cleaning, but straight-graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3689 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old cleaning market acceptable. These are very difficult to find with original skin and eye appeal. Nice example. I am at VF35 but a XF 40 would not surprise me.
Edited by Slider23
06/26/2022 7:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
love the CC's on these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with the old cleaning, but acceptable. I'm at VF35
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brunner & Frost 1875-CC BF-2, Die marriage 1-B.

Nerd warning: Obverse die 1 coins were struck with a 22.1 mm collar, while obverse die 2 coins were struck with a 21,8 mm collar. Nobody knows why.

On the 1875-CC, much of the obverse weakness is strike quality. This is especially true for the shield and LIBERTY. The reverse should be given more weight in grading this date. IMHO, this one just makes EF-40, straight grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12926 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40. even if it graded straight I wouldnt be a fan of this one. I think there are better ones out there in this grade

just curious...why this one? what drew you to it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9182 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First that the coin appeared to be problem free. Second the price.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1875-CC is strange. There are a lot of them available in lower grades. There are a pretty decent number in higher circulated grades, but many of them look like they were beaten to death.

Talk about a cherry picker's special date, though, both for condition and variety. It's getting tough to find EF-AU coins with relatively clean surfaces. One of the last transactions I did for a client was a high AU with clean fields and devices. That transaction came in at nearly double retail price. In addition, the five known die marriages are also a cherry-picker's special. BF-2 is the most common, but two of the remaining four are much harder to find in higher grades, and two of them are almost impossible to find in any grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. EF-45 straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1239 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say XF-45, very nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 all day

Remember folks, you cannot grade these normally, you have to add a grade or 2, just how it is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technical EF40, my net grade VF35
Still much higher grade than my own example of the same coin!!
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll clarify my VF35 as a net as well. Technical XF, but surface originality gets a net down in my book. Still higher grade than my F15 example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it was in a PCGS slab. What's the grade NS?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,020Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: