Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Next For The Humble Roosevelt Dime?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,849Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AverageMercEnjoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All of the US coins have had big changes but the Roosevelt dime remains the same. How much life does it have left? Do you think new variations of it will be made or a complete new design?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point. It's a weak design over its prior version, in my opinion. It'd be nice to bring the original lady liberty design back to the dime and an eagle on the back, perhaps the Walking Liberty eagle? That would be a beaut!!!!
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be all in for a new design. The Roosevelt design is basically just blah.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8962 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps replace the current design with a series commemorating/celebrating each US Code (Titles 1-54). Good, clean fun.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just what we need, more commemoratives.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1866 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've long been a proponent of recalling the nickel and reissuing it in aluminum. After a few years the size should be reduced.

But now inflation has wiped out the value of 5c as well so I'd simply change the dime to an eight of a dollar through fiat. New dimes would would be designed that say 1/8th dollar with a new reverse for the "New Deal". So instead of a new refrigerator being priced at $2,199.99 it will be priced at $2,199.875. Some might scoff at the $.115 savings but every little bit adds up and with the frequency with which we have to buy refrigerators now days it will add up even faster.

I doubt the current dime is in much danger and the penny may be nearly as safe.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
06/27/2022 5:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17772 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets make future Roosevelt dimes in the Golden color like the new Dollar coins . That should make them more attractive .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for change.

The cent should have have been nixed thirty years ago. The nickel is a resource drain (more than the cent) and only exists to make the quarter relevant. The dime is really the "new cent," but even it is on borrowed time. I am sure it will linger on past its expiration date just as the quarter will after it.

I have no doubt the dime will look exactly as it does now if/when they finally retire it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1430 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Roosevelt dime. Because it's our smallest coin, I doubt any design changes will occur, because no one would notice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8049 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congress has considered changing the design of the dime in the past, but the proposals included maintaining an image of FDR on the coin's obverse.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Congress has considered changing the design of the dime in the past, but the proposals included maintaining an image of FDR on the coin's obverse

I believe Ronald Reagan was proposed for the dime several years back. That would have been interesting had they done so.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I'd like to go back to lady liberty inspired designs for the obverses instead of putting more people on coins.
Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to go back to lady liberty inspired designs for the obverses instead of putting more people on coins.
You would receive zero complaints from me if this were to happen.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
888 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cent should have have been nixed thirty years ago. The nickel is a resource drain (more than the cent) and only exists to make the quarter relevant. The dime is really the "new cent," but even it is on borrowed time. I am sure it will linger on past its expiration date just as the quarter will after it.

Don 't you use the 1 and 5 cent coins actively ? I thought they were actively used by the population and there are no plans to remove them from circulation.
Learn More...
United States
39253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
compromise....
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8049 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe Ronald Reagan was proposed for the dime several years back. That would have been interesting had they done so.

Yes, a bill was introduced back in 2003. It was referred to Committee and died for lack of action.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,849Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: