Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Next For The Humble Roosevelt Dime?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,832Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don 't you use the 1 and 5 cent coins actively ? I thought they were actively used by the population and there are no plans to remove them from circulation.
That is what they want you to think.

I have not used change in over a year.

Most cents travel one way: Mint > Fed > Banks > Vendor > Customer > Trash. It is why we have to mint BILLIONS every year.

We do not need the cent or nickel. Cash can be rounded to nearest dime; or more likely down to the nearest dime once vendors realize cash transactions do not incur a surcharge like the electronic ones do.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
compromise....
I like it! That would make quite a sensation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2056 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bring back Liberty! Bring back Liberty! Bring back Liberty!
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once read a story that Nancy thought the dime was too small for Ronald Reagan. She wanted the half dollar.
Learn More...
United States
39229 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I once read a story that Nancy thought the dime was too small for Ronald Reagan. She wanted the half dollar.
Probably apocryphal, as I recall reading did she not want him on any coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that The Mint is playing a whole big joke. FDR was longest in Office as POTUS. Therefore the 10 Cent Dime will never die!!!!

Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure all these presidents will still be on their respective coins when the last ones are struck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11575 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was mentioned earlier in this topic but inflation is eroding the dime's usefulness even further than it already is. It needs to go, along with the nickel and cent. I say this while my desk is littered with dimes, cents, and nickels waiting to be examined and sorted.

We all know the cent and nickel are already useless except to us collectors, and inflation is further driving down their value. Maybe the final nail in the coffin for these?
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quarter should be the new cent. Maybe that will get half dollars moving again.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its coming. The Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020 was signed by President Donald Trump on January 13, 2021. It provides for, among other things, special one-year designs for the circulating coinage in 2026, including the dime, for the United States Semiquincentennial (the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence). This section of the legislation allows the Treasury to redesign, for the year 2026, every other circulating U.S. coin—the Lincoln cent, the Jefferson five-cent nickel, the Roosevelt dime, and the Kennedy half dollar.
https://news.coinupdate.com/the-cir...r-the-hobby/
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...sident-trump
Edited by datadragon
07/06/2022 6:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11575 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really will be interesting to see where things end up once inflation settles down. Right now cents cost, what, 2 cents each to produce and nickels something like 8? Dimes are sure to be losers shortly as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1866 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of hidden costs with cents. The net cost to the economy is likely in the 6c area but many of these coasts are difficult or impossible to quantify. Many of the costs of producing these worthless slugs is simply shifted onto other denominations just as is the burden of producing 15 billion coins annually.

Pennies have so little value now that we lose money every time they are counted since even using machines the time required exceeds the pay of those counting them. The longer they last in circulation the higher the price but tossing them in the trash doesn't help because they'll just spend 3 1/2 cents to make a new one.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,832Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: