Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Embedded Struck Thru/ Struck In / Possible Multi Struck

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 489Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 1982D Lincoln Cent appears to be struck thru some sort of foriegn object. It's located in Lincolns back neck/collar. Half of falls into the field and half into Lincolns neck. It looks like whatever it was struck thru damaged the obverse die or caused both obverse and reverse dies to jumped/skipped around during the initial striking of this cent. There appears to be cracks extending from around the struck thru area throughout the obverse of this cent. I don't know if this cent needed an additional strike, the dies jumping/skipping or if a damaged die caused the multi strike appearance on both the obverse and reverse of this cent? On the obverse seen around Lincolns ear, eye, LIBERTY, IGWT,date and chin/neck. On the reverse seen around One Cent, E Pluribus Unum and initials.
Thanks,
Coindom76

Edited by Coindom76
06/27/2022 4:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large date 82-D. Bad environmental blotting/staining/damage, coin showing zinc rot and is in poor condition. Spend it while you can!
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover look at Lincolns neck. It is indeed a 1982 large date, it may have the issues you mentioned but it was struck in/thru something. I don't spend copper cents. It is worth more then a cent in copper scrap weight. Also this is a copper cent so there is no zinc coating to rot. Come on bud it weighs 3.2 grams not 2.5.
Edited by Coindom76
06/27/2022 4:38 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

More of a struck in error.
Edited by Coindom76
06/27/2022 4:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15790 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it is a bit raised from the photo.
Could it be some sort of a retained Struck Through.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a retained strike through to me, a small strip of copper maybe?

Please try to get all your photos at the correct orientation (up right) please, I felt like I was watching a tennis game and had to keep moving my head back an forth. very annoying and for an old guy with a bad neck - painful
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn sorry about the flip flop angles. It looks like a retained strike thru to me too. I will do my best with my camera angles moving forward. @JimmyD yes,it is raised above the device design.
Thanks
Coindom76
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Coindom, at least you will try to have them up right for future images.
Having them up right and straight is very important when comparing something on the obverse to the reverse It is easier to visualize matching both sides to see if something, lets say like a dent or a clash, and imagining it on the other side in the same location, (like my dent example, if there were a corresponding lump then it is easy to say it was damage.)

At least, that is what I do, hence tipping my head back and forth.. LOL
Edited by Dearborn
06/27/2022 9:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come on bud

I'm no " bud," bud.

Certainly looks like zinc. Ok, if it's copper, you're holding on to it for that reason alone? You do know it's illegal to melt down US coinage while still in use, don't you? Lots of people here started hoarding copper until they started tripping over it. Not worth the storage space, in my opinion.

Your coin is in poor condition, no denying that. Copper is worth what? 3 cents per cent? It's all yours.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This anomaly does look raised higher than the surrounding areas, but clearer images might be helpful.

This leads me to wonder if it might be some type of die damage.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover I never mentioned melting anything so don't jump to that conclusion. I said scrap weight in copper and how often can u triple your money as minimal as 3 cents is. Bud is not gender specific btw. Don't be so sensitive. I told you the weight so no it is not zinc. Your opinion is your opinion on the condition of this cent. I was not referring to the condition of the cent. I was posting on the retained strike thru which is evident on this cent.
Edited by Coindom76
06/28/2022 09:02 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: