Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

450-350Bc Alexander III The Great Macedonian Gold Stater

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 335Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
9201 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i bid on this coin today but did not win it. It sold for $13.800. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Macedonian Kingdom. Alexander III 'the Great'. Gold Stater (8.58 g), 336-323 BC. Lampsakos, ca. 328/5-323 BC. Helmeted head of Athena right, coiled serpent on bowl of helmet. Reverse: AΛEΞANΔPOY, Nike standing left, holding wreath and stylis; in left field, conjoined horse foreparts; below monogram. Price 1358. Lustrous. Superb Extremely Fine. Estimated Value $3,000 - UP

This posthumous stater features the imperial types that Alexander the Great established for his gold coinage at the outset of his reign. It is generally thought that they alluded to his characterization of his grand campaign against the Persian Empire as a Greek war of revenge for Xerxes' failed invasion of mainland Greece in 480-479 BC. The head of Athena refers to the Persian destruction of Athens while Nike holding a stylis (i.e., a ship's mast) recalls the naval victories at Salamis and Mykale that ultimately forced the withdrawal of the Persians from Greece. Ironically, by the time this coin was struck, Alexander was not only dead, but had long before abandoned the revenge motive for the conquest. Indeed, at the end of his life he was actively trying (and failing) to unite Macedonian and Persian in his army and his wider empire. In this project he was way ahead of his time and deep resentment in the army has informed the ancient rumors that Alexander did not die of illness, but was actually poisoned.This particular issue is usually attributed to Nikokreon of Salamis, a Cypriot city-king who wisely paid homage to Alexander while he was besieging Tyre in 331 BC. In return, Alexander permitted him to retain his kingdom. After the death of Alexander, in 315 BC, Nikokreon supported Ptolemy in overthrowing other city-kings of Cyprus who were allied with his dangerous rival, Antigonos Monophthalmos. He was subsequently rewarded by being made king not only of Salamis, but also of Kition, Lapithos, Keryneia, and Marion. The stater may have been struck in the context of the conflict that raised Nikokreon to be ruler of all Cyprus.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's beautiful, but I don't see any reason it should have gone for so high above estimate. Excitement of the feeding frenzy, I guess.
Learn More...
United States
23712 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin,
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does a coin that is that old stay looking like it was struck yesterday
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 335Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: