Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Questions About Ikes

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 929Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Now that I have (finally) acquired a Dansco Ike proof album I have some questions for the experts

Firstly, I would like to make an all uncirc and obviously proof collection.

Secondly, I am not interested in acquiring the three varieties for 1972. At least not at this time.

From what I can tell the places to acquire these coins are:

71-74 S 40% BU--Blue Ikes
71-74 S Silver proof--Brown Ikes
73&74 (P) & D--Mint sets
73&74 S clad proof--proof sets
76 (P),D Type 1--75 Mint set
76 S clad proof type 1--75 proof set
76 (P)&D Type 2--76 mint set
76 S clad proof type 2--76 proof set
76 S 40% BU--76 3 pc silver mint set
76 S 40% proof--76 3 pc silver proof set
77&78 (P)&D--mint sets
77&78 S--proof sets

Now to my questions:
1. Does that list look correct
2. Uncirc 71&72 (P)&D were not in any set and must be acquired from a dealer or ebay seller, etc.
3. Is the album missing some slots for proofs? Looks like years up to 76 have at least 3 holes. 71 & 72 only have 2 holes.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Just trying to figure this out
Edited by DanFielding
06/29/2022 4:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck will be here any minute...
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Does that list look correct
I have never seen it quite like that, but it looks correct to me. Missing the 1971 and 1972 P&D which you seem to address in #2...

Quote:
2. Uncirc 71&72 (P)&D were not in any set and must be acquired from a dealer or ebay seller, etc.
Correct. Those were only issued for circulation and not in an mint set. You are going to need to find those raw or in a TPG slab.

Quote:
3. Is the album missing some slots? Looks like years up to 76 have at least 3 holes. 71 & 72 only have 2 holes.
The 8176 Dansco has 36 holes, 32 of which are labeled for the coins are you showing above. There are no labeled slots for the other two 1972 varieties, but if you ever decide to get them there are four extra holes in the album.

Here are a couple of examples of completed 8176 albums...

http://goccf.com/t/233308
http://goccf.com/t/60465&whichpage=109#1555629
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew you would have the answer! Thanks. For such a short run there are many different "varieties"
Edited by DanFielding
06/29/2022 5:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy filling the album!

My Dansco 8176 is still my favourite set, even though my 2nd Ike set (PCGS) has higher grades.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10407 Posts
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JBucks set is my favorite set too - right after mine
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy a scale for the San Francisco issues which have 2 per year from to 1971-76. The weigh difference will help if in doubt between the clad and silver. Which are listed in the tab to the left, U.S. coins and currency- Coin Facts.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AverageMercEnjoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just started this myself.

I'm a total noob. To anyone that knows more than myself, am I better off cracking open clad proof sets and blue/brown Ikes to get what I need? Or buying ones already removed?
What is the best way to aquire good clad examples? eBay is cluttered with garbage and bad listings.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To anyone that knows more than myself, am I better off cracking open clad proof sets and blue/brown Ikes to get what I need? Or buying ones already removed?
Nether method is superior to the other. It always depends on what is available to you. Buy the best you can find regardless of the container...

Quote:
What is the best way to aquire good clad examples? eBay is cluttered with garbage and bad listings.
My original Ike set (Dansco album) was completed in 1993, long before eBay. Most came from local coin shops, where I could examine in hand before purchase. That being said, you best bet is going to be a local show or a coin show. They can be found on eBay, but requires time and patience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1866 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a total noob. To anyone that knows more than myself, am I better off cracking open clad proof sets and blue/brown Ikes to get what I need? Or buying ones already removed?

98% of '71, 90% of '72 and substantial percentages of '73 and '74 blue Ikes are tarnished in the packaging. It's OK to buy these but be aware that many can not be cleaned up.

The brown Ikes aren't a lot better with about 80 to 95% bad. These are a little more likely to clean up OK in 91% alcohol.

Mint set Ikes also have serious problems. the '75 type I Philly comes awful even on the off chance you can find one not tarnished and these are not so likely to clean up OK. The '73 is usually OK and only about 65% of the '74's are bad. The '75 to '78 are usually tarnished.

The best coins come in mint sets though so I'd suggest you either A count on having to look through a bunch of sets and clean a few to get a nice one or B buy one slabbed. I would avoid getting a very high grade because of cost but MS-64 and 65 can often be found at a decent price (<$25).

I'd buy the brown ikes and later date blue ikes and get the early dates slabbed. The '73 P & D are mint set only but if you look at about 10 sets you should find a nice one.

The bicentennial issues are easy except the one that comes in a three piece set without a white stripe is rarely seen. They are usually not tarnished though.

Nice chBU and chPR ike sets are getting very expensive to put together. Many people don't realize the wholesale prices are soaring with the '71 roll selling for $100 now!!!!

People ignored these coins to death and attrition has carried them off. Most dates are far scarcer in chBU than all of the common Morgan dollars and the '71 and '76 type I are scarcer than many of the better dates especially in Gem condition.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1866 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! ...And the '71 and '72 clads are a bear.

Just buy them slabbed unless you can find a dealer where you can see them first.
Edited by cladking
07/13/2022 5:55 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AverageMercEnjoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info to know! I really appreciate it
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice summation, cladking

Quote:
Mint set Ikes also have serious problems. the '75 type I Philly comes awful even on the off chance you can find one not tarnished and these are not so likely to clean up OK. The '73 is usually OK and only about 65% of the '74's are bad. The '75 to '78 are usually tarnished.

That's spot on to my experience.

Quote:
People ignored these coins to death and attrition has carried them off. Most dates are far scarcer in chBU than all of the common Morgan dollars and the '71 and '76 type I are scarcer than many of the better dates especially in Gem condition.

I suspect you're right. I am the one to hunt raw Ikes at my regional shows. I've looked through hundreds over the past year, but only bought two for the grade. I've focused on landing the higher grades in slabs and looking for varieties raw.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add winterhawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always had a soft spot for the Ike's.

Have you visited the ikegroup site?
Several years ago I searched approx. 3000 Ike's. Found one type 2 Ike. Also numerous die clash varieties, talon heads, UDU's, several friendly eagles.

I took extensive notes at the time, I intended to post the results to the Ikegroup forum (never did though) and have since lost my notes.
Is there any reference material here on CCF, pictures etc?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1866 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am the one to hunt raw Ikes at my regional shows. I've looked through hundreds over the past year, but only bought two for the grade. I've focused on landing the higher grades in slabs and looking for varieties raw.

I'll still buy a few underpriced Gem ikes but I'm old enough now that I'm trying to sell almost everything. If I were younger I'd probably be buying any nice gemmy MS-64 or better ike I could find at a good price. The availability of these coins is plummeting and I've been selling into a very strong market.

Most of these coins have always originated in mint sets and still do but most of the sets are gone now and the ones left are tarnished. I don't know what wholesalers are going to do to get these coins. Raising prices doesn't seem to help much because the availability of pristine sets is smaller than the weak demand.

Also keep in mind that the prices of sets is escalating rapidly meaning fewer people will seek sets for their ikes and more will buy them from the wholesalers.

Dealers will step in to fill the vacuum by buying sets at wholesale and restoring coins but I don't think they can keep up with demand.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 929Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: