Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917-D Obverse Walking Liberty For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 678Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24578 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What grade would you give this one?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a tad less wear than the 17-S, but probably still G-04.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G-04 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-4
Pillar of the Community
United States
9119 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obv looks better than the other one but also at G details with the obv wipe. Has a better chance of straight grading than the 17-S. Looks like VG details in the obv but the reverse rims aren't full.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com - Help me improve my coin e-commerce website: http://goccf.com/t/424872
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17784 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-04 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3674 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG6
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't VG, the rim's are nowhere near full.

G4 is about right

Slider-There's no such grade as VG6
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Slider23 - Defend VG-08 if you would, please. Incomplete rims on both sides - please give us your reasoning.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/30/2022 9:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12597 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G4 straight grade. just honest wear
Pillar of the Community
United States
3674 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The VG6 was a mistake on my part. It should be G6. I just felt the letters on the coin looked a little better than G4.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-04 straight grade. The reverse is very close to G-06, but the obverse holds it to G-04.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12597 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just took a second look at this one. this coin looks similar to the 17S. take a close at the area in the rays to right of the L, there might be some residual tape like on the 17S there that crossed over the thigh and onto the rim at K2.

it was actually not uncommon back in the day for someone to put a heavily worn coin like this in like a whitman folder and tape it in to keep it from falling out and would explain why we are seeing it only on the obv. this one I might consider leaving alone. just pointing it out
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24578 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct panzaldi. With coins this worn they just would not stay in those old blue folders. Both coins will get an Acetone bath. These came out of some junk silver coins so the price was right.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24578 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one has been given an Acetone bath.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@IndianGoldEagle, Good grief! From junk silver? Well done rescues. These are collectible G's all day.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: