Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is Ebay Suddenly Charging Sale Tax On Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 573Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
118 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  5:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So up until a few days ago eBay wasn't adding sales tax to my purchases, unless it was a little bit on the shipping

Now, every coin I buy has sales tax added to it

I had to chat with ebay to get them to do "manual corrections" which will take 7-10 days

I hate to sound cheap but when I buy a coin for $30 and they tack on $2.78 for state sales tax I get a little bit preturbed
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I checked all of my eBay coin purchases and I was not charged sales tax on a June 16th purchase

BUT

Starting on June 22nd I was charged sales tax on every coin I bought

So there is a 5 day window where eBay changed csomething and messed up

If you bought coins in the window, please post if you were charged sales tax so we can narrow it down to the day the policy was incorrectly changed
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70210 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your state doesn't charge sales tax on such items (like Illinois, where I live), you can initiate a claim process to get a refund. I believe, however, that you must actually pay for the item first - I don't think that eBay will simply change the invoice before payment. At least that's been my experience.
Learn More...
United States
39215 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The tax you see may be only on the shipping, and not on the coin price and shipping.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The tax you see may be only on the shipping, and not on the coin price and shipping.

Well, unless there's a $4.05 tax on a $4.25 shipping fee I'm getting charged tax on the coins

All totaled, it's just over $35

I have requested the "manual corrections" but I don't know why ebay can't just keep this straight

United States
48 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just double-checked. I have paid tax on every coin I bought on ebay for years.(colonials to ASEs,nothing in circulation though)
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
LuckyPunk said - I just double-checked. I have paid tax on every coin I bought on ebay for years.(colonials to ASEs,nothing in circulation though)

Blame that on your state -

"The State of California requires the collection of use taxes on certain products sold by BGASC and delivered to a California address. These taxes must be collected on (1) nonmonetized bullion made from copper, platinum, or palladium; (2) monetized bullion, nonmonetized gold or silver bullion, or numismatic coins if the total amount of a single sales transaction is less than $1,500"
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured it was something like that. In CA you just get used to it,I guess....sigh.
(gas $6.94/gal today)
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentralALCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have recently noticed this as well. It just started in the past couple weeks for me and I live in a tax exempt state for bullion. I've been messaging the sellers and have come to the conclusion that some of them are listing in the wrong categories. I've had 3 purchases in the past hour. 2 we're from same seller and we're silver eagles, taxed. A different seller I bought a Morgan from and no tax.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it took a couple weeks but I got the refunds for the tax payments that I called eBay about

Now I need to file for 6 more "manual corrections"

Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freespeech57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been a long term problem.
In Ohio, my home state, the law was changed effective July 1, 2021. Precious metal dealers, no tax charged, EBay, tax collected. In each case I have had to call EBay and ask for a refund. Currently waiting over a month and no refund. Contacted EBay three times regarding this purchase and each time told I am a valued customer and that they will immediately notify their tax division and I should expect a refund in 7 days. Still nothing.

The problem is that EBay is collecting tax that isn't owed and then (1) forwarding it to the state tax authorities? Or more likely, (2) keeping the illegally assessed tax.

If EBay wanted to correct this they would have, they either don't care or are making a profit. I have written to EBay and received no response. This is a class action suit waiting to be filed!

I have now stopped purchasing coins on EBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Freespeech57 - in my state the same thing was going on with eBay after changes to our tax laws in 2021. After getting absolutely zero help from eBay, I ended up reporting it to my state's Department of Finance and Administration, and within 30 minutes I had the name and email of a person at eBay which a tax auditor at the DFA provided. That eBay contact was always responsive to my inquiries and even took care of quickly getting me refunds of tax I'd been improperly charged (usually within a few days).

It still took far too long, and I had to get back with the eBay contact at least 3 times because the fixes weren't implemented across all tax-exempted areas of numismatic items, but in the end it was completely corrected.

The department is called different things state to state; I think in Ohio it's just called the Department of Taxation.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have now stopped purchasing coins on EBay.

Same here. Now I'm having fun shopping on mashops and finding online dealers with their own e-shops.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: