Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About 1971 D Kennedy FS-102

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
739 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a specific mint mark placement that is only on the 1971D Kennedy FS-102 and is there a link to the 1971D Kennedy normal series doubling for comparison? I could not find a link, I saw where atrox had posted one prior but it does not work for me. I am trying to figure out the differences and also am looking at a Kennedy that has 4 seriffs on the I of In and in comparing to VarietyVista's looks the same. So for any help with the mintmark location or where I can see good pics of the series doubling for comparison, I would greatly appreciate any information. Thankyou in advance. (I checked VV, and PCGS Coinfacts.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are a very visual bunch here.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10407 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks merclover and Dearborn, I will post some pics as soon as I can get some good ones.
So were there more than one set of dies for the FS-102 which would have different MM locations and still be the FS-102? Or do all the FS-102's have the same mintmark position? Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a word: yes.

[unless doubling was on hub or MD - making multiple dies]
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
07/01/2022 09:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15799 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The FS102 would all have the mm in the same position as
it is only that particular die that was doubled.
You could use the positioning of the mm as a marker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CentSation and JimmyD that answered my question! I thought it would be unique to that particular die but was not sure because of all the series doubling or if more dies were struck from a master hub. I am still learning so thanks!
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atrox001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question.there is a specific mintmark placement that is only on the 71D Kennedy FS-102 (CONECA 71D DDO-006). Attached is a copy from James Wiles 1998 Kennedy half dollar Book explaining Master Die Doubling and Series Doubling, with a description for the 71 series.
In regard to the four serifs on the I of IN you have, there are only two in the CONCEA Master Listings, DDO-006 and DDO-017, for the DDO-017 you can find good photos and markers on VV. Attached are a couple of photos, one of TRUST, and one showing what might be a good marker, light die scratches to right of the ear for the DDO-006 from my collection.Wiles had attributed this for me. I hope this helps you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou atrox001!! huge help! I know the 017 has doubled hair which these do not. The fs-101 that I had posted previously came in a sealed packet of 5. The other 4 seem to be exactly alike each other and their MM's are in the same place. The lower leg of the N of In is thicker and the I has what appears to me to be 4 ,close to equal length, seriffs. So I am searching for all the info before I post, to either identify them or rule them out. Pics are really hard to capture what I see so I thought MM placement may be a good diagnostic start. So now to figure out how to check MM placement and the proper location for that particular Die. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few pics of one of them. I think it must be series doubling. I cannot match mintmark or other die markers. Thanks for all the help.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: