Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storing And Displaying Proof Sets?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 462Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  07:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hay3mak3r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received 10 proof sets form the mid 80s for Christmas. I am wonder what you all do to store and or display proof sets. The are still in the box they were gifted in. The box is sturdy enough but certainly not designed to store proof sets. Is there a product specifically designed to handle proof set storage?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
878 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general, it is always recommended to store Proof coins in the packaging in which they came out of the mint. Proof is very sensitive and one awkward movement can turn a coin from PF70 to PF67 or even lower.
But you can also use capsules for long-term storage of your coins.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hay3mak3r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are all in original packaging and I intend to keep them that way. I guess my question is better stated, how can I better store them to where I can also appreciate and make the more accessable than the "shoe box" they were gifted in?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You could use a binder. Here is one example that is set up for displaying proof sets. Hope you enjoy them!

https://brooklyngallery.com/coin-al...t-album.html
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17752 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that generally Proof sets from the mint are not air tight and some of the coins may tone no matter how to store them . Best to keep them in original mint plastic and I would keep them in outside packaging so they don't get scratched or marred .
Always good to store any coins in the best environments away from humidity , extreme heat and cold temps . If you must display your proof sets then Bumps link sounds about right .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hay3mak3r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your input. I think for the time being I'll just leave them in the box they were gifted in. That seems like the best option right now. Although the album does look pretty cool.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2050 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I box them all up and stack them in the safe. Too many to display...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I store mine in Sterilite (plastic boxes in a wide variety of sizes- this brand is U.S. made.) containers. Cardboard boxes tend to attract moisture, and small critters, over time.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 462Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: