Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Au+ Seated Dime Love Tokens

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,732Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wanted to do some show and tell. I occasionally pick up love tokens, but not usually Seated dimes. Since they are very common, something has to stand out to make me want to buy them. This set of three Seated dime love tokens came in the mail today in a sealed flip labeled 1980 Garden State Auction. These have probably been sealed in the flip since 1980! Each of these are at least AU-58, likely low mint state. I cut them out of the flip immediately, so they could take a swim in acetone. There was a lot of residue cooking up in the sealed flip.

I had a hard time capturing the full luster, so I took a few extra photos.

#1: 1889 "KB"

#2: 1888 "Blanche"

#3: 1888 " LMC" (For the Lincoln Memorial cent Lovers!)

The flip:
Edited by jacrispies
07/01/2022 4:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome grouping! I'm a big love token fan. I rarely see any that look that nice. Congrats.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want the one with my initials. All very professionally done.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Like"
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
24829 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having provenance going back several decades like this is always niceóbe sure to record that info on the 2x2s or whatever storage holder you use moving forward. Of the three, KB is my fave. I really like the stippling around the edge.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11162 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
all for a $1.20 too.

I think it says 120$.

Very nice love tokens though, I don't usually like these but those are in great shape and very well done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
997 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!!! Whoever had those cared for them well. Here's a couple of mine.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your opinions. The "Blanche" is my favorite, because of the engraving style, and the attractive toning on the obverse. I purchased a neat 1776 8 Reales love token the other day, I may have to post that one too.

Quote:
Here's a couple of mine.

Awesome! The second one is unique, I like the custom date. Thank you for sharing, I enjoy seeing the different styles of love tokens.

In regards to your first 1877 Seated quarter love token, would it read DBI or IBD? I know there is an order that is dependent on the height of the letters, I just never figured it out.

Quote:
I think it says 120$.

Without the context, it could go either way, $1.20 or $120. There is an odd amount of space between the 1 and the 2. But, because these aren't expensive coins, and it is 1980, I would bet the price being $1.20.

Quote:
Cool coins (or they coins now?) I guess token is more fitting.

If we are going to get technical, these no longer have a denomination, so they are no longer considered coins. Probably just under the broad term exonumia. Or token, it doesn't really matter.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11162 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without the context, it could go either way, $1.20 or $120. There is an odd amount of space between the 1 and the 2. But, because these aren't expensive coins, and it is 1980, I would bet the price being $1.20.

Well that was my reasoning for the low price. I still think it was 1.20. Times were better back then, gas was cheap, I was graduating HS that year.. Ahh.. the memories..
Pillar of the Community
United States
997 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At points, the "i" overlaps the "D" and the "B". There's overlapping at other points in general....I think it reads I. D. B based on what overlaps the most..lol. I think the 1844 engraved is a1842 quarter but I can't say for sure. The carving marks at the date seem to perhaps make it a smaller date coin as such in the 1840s and not the 1850s. Having a Love Token with both the obverse and the reverse of the coin is hard to find.....or hard to find for me at least...that's why I purchased that 1844 engraved Love Token. Yours are wonderful though.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
07/02/2022 7:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the latest one to arrive at our house. I've looked for a token with my dear wife's initials for a couple of years and finally found this one on a quarter eagle.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How neat! It is cool to find one that you can actually gift someone. Gold love tokens are surprisingly somewhat common, especially for the cost back then. Beautiful quarter eagle!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't really put 2/2 together lol, I figured it was a modern price but it seems to be under the mylar so if in 1980 1.20 definitely sounds more realistic, also very cool show and tell with the love tokens on this thread, some of them are pretty cool with great craftsmanship.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,732Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: