Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Au+ Seated Dime Love Tokens

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,530Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, Bump111!!! I've been trying to do that for myself as well.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my only love token, it's a quarter, no idea what it says or means but this thread seems like a good excuse to dig it out and post it -

Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really beautiful examples!
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thanks for sharing! If anybody has love tokens, post them here!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jacrispies I think you are correct with the IBD now that I look at it again. I can't find a photo of the obverse of my IHC Love Token. I don't think I saved a copy. I'll have to take it out of whatever bank it's in and photograph it again at some point. I know it's an 1880 IHC with this as its reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll buy these with the right design. The first two for sure, the last not so much. Nice pieces you have there.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DoctorBurnzy, that is a nice IHC love token! The engravings on cents tend to be more crude than others, but yours was very well done. I don't have a love token on a cent yet, but it is on my bucket list. Thank you for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this was done by a good engraver way back when....however, I think some heat/fire pit may have been added to it sometime later to get the desired effect. I think I paid $32 for this after a little hagglin'. It was worth it to me after seeing as you said mostly crude engravings on IHCs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2369 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That IHC token is fantastic, Doc! The engraver was certainly a craftsman. It seems to fit your collecting focus very well.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Independence Day! Here is a 1776 8 Reales "CVL" Love Token...

Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!! I'm going to assume this was done 100 years later perhaps even on the Centennial. Spectacular.....maybe done at the Centennial Exposition.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
07/04/2022 3:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to assume this was done 100 years later perhaps even on the Centennial. Spectacular.....maybe done at the Centennial Exposition.

Never thought about that! Love tokens on 8 reales are uncommon, so this theory makes sense!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I had a well-known jewelry store/engraving business or just if I were a really good craftsman with some means, I definitely would've set up a booth at least on the weekends between May 10th and November 10th of 1876 in Philadelphia. Also, I would've tried to get some 1776 Reales or any other coins accepted and dated 1776 in the US prior to the Coinage Act 1857 to be used as Love Tokens and be sold at a premium to the other Love Tokens made. Also, it would've been easier to have 1876 coins on hand as well....
mv_QmiMsSkg
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
07/05/2022 5:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Happy Independence Day! Here is a 1776 8 Reales "CVL" Love Token...
Fantastic!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: