Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With What To Read On Lincoln Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 563Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to this lovely obsession. I THINK I am starting with the Lincoln Cent.

What are the must have books that I would need to read? Read, specifically for One Cents, and which for the general Hobby? And in which order?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17772 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The official Red Book ; a guide book of Lincoln Cents .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, start with the Red Book.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the above mentioned, there is this one from 1996:

Might be out of print by now...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not complete anymore - seeing how it was last printed in 1996 - almost 20 years ago..
Yes, I know it could be good for pre 96 CENTS, but if it lists any values, I would ignore that part.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Guide Book of United States coins Large Print Edition 2023 ( Red Book but in larger size and print). The advanced version of this book for later consideration is called Mega Red edition and is in the 7th edition, a bit behind by a year.

Strike it Rich with Pocket Change Error Coins bring big money Ken Potter 5th edition.

A Guide Book of Lincoln Cents 3rd Edition (Bowers)

CoinWorld's Making the grade third edition (If interested about grading including how the coins individually wear this is the best one)

CherryPickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States coins is inexpensive in kindle version on Amazon until they reprint it hopefully soon for a decent price.

Mint errors to die for Joseph P Cronin a bit expensive but best book on error coins (after you have started)

There are many general books on coin collecting for the beginner although there are so many online free websites you might instead turn to.for awhile until you know what kind of book might have information you need.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you everyone!! This list will keep me busy for a bit!!!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45798 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you interested in errors/varieties?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
His intro suggested so, thats why I included a few good ones to get started on errors/varieties that also can give some more info on Lincoln cents at the same time. I'd probably read the Red Book (preferably the large print edition which has larger pictures and should at least get one large, then possibly get just the regular small one for updated pricing). After the Red Book, then strike it rich and a guide book of Lincoln cents should get anyone started. The others are some additional info after that to consider.

Quote:
HI everyone. I am new to coin collecting. I can use all the help given...

I am most interested in error coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45798 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recognize there are several/many DIFFERENT ways to collect Lincoln cents, not just what might first come to your mind - collecting one of every date and mint mark.

You can choose to collect just Wheat Cents. Or just Lincoln Memorial Cents. Or just the "modern" Lincoln cents after the end of Memorial Cents.

What I chose to collect is a Lincoln Wheat cent DATE Set - one of each date, regardless of the mint mark. This gave me the flexibility to choose which coin for each date. Since there are fewer coins (only 50), I chose to get the most common coin for each date. This allowed me to afford to buy a higher grade for each date, which to me, improves the eye appeal of my set.

No one way is right or wrong! Collect the way YOU want to collect. Have fun!

Happy Hunting!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything you can get your hands on will inform you better in regards to what you're looking to collect, and I have experience with several of the above-mentioned suggestions. Good luck in your endeavors!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 563Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: