Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Jefferson Nickel-Just Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 341Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Carla Lee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone! I hope all are well! Happy Independence day weekend! Thank you for all that have served to keep me free!

I have this nickel... Is it just damage, or is this a pretty large grease error?

Thanks for teaching me!
Have a great night!
Carla

Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! There'll be an expert here soon to answer your question better than I can!! : )
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70481 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop and enlarge these images.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might also be helpful to crop the pictures if you're able to!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

well asking to crop your photos better has been addressed, so I won't go there.
But your nickel just look normal with extensive circulation hits and dings.
But there may be some Grease Filled Die issue with 'Monticello, and Five Cents on the reverse (the only side you presented) please show both sides of your coin each time, then any close-up images of areas of concern.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that does look like a Struck Through Grease coin
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carla Lee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some cropped photos as requested!

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carla Lee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the microscope image...
I thought the camera did a better job.

Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Nice close-ups! Looks like grease-filled die!
Learn More...
United States
24281 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that latest pic is spot-on. While there is heavy circulation wear, it looks to me like the letter O of MONTICELLO was not struck up by the die, perhaps because of grease in the die.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: