Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 Florida State Quarter Missing Clad Layer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 473Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loading0311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

hey so I found this quarter and it looks like its missing its silver layer and I'mácurious how I would go about confirming this
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental or chemical toning/staining/discolouration; could have been buried in soil for a good while.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loading0311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is that a certainty is there a way to get a definitive answer regarding it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3468 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like environmental damage, not missing clad.

Do you have the weight of the coin? If it's 5.67 grams, it isn't missing any of the clad. Also, most coins with missing clad show as normal on the opposite side. Only a handful of coins with the clad missing on both sides have been certified. (Less than 20 or so.)

When a coin is struck on a planchet with missing clad, it tends to be a weak strike due to the missing layer. This coin looks like a normal strike. The dies are set for a planchet of a certain thickness and when a planchet with missing clad is struck it's just not enough material in the striking chamber to get a fully detailed strike.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
07/02/2022 02:23 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loading0311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gotcha thats disappointing ill try and find a scale accurate enough for that but I wont get my hopes up, thankfully I found it rather than bought it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight should confirm.

to the CCF!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goldeggsandham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a quarter just like that. It's caused by chemical exposure, often intentional.

Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1544 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2875 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color of the coin speak. It is an intentionally damaged coin to say it is missing clad.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: