Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turkish(?) Coin To ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 283Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
869 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  09:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The islamic date is 1223(1809) year 10?. My best guess is 5 para, but I can't find anything that fits this design. Diameter~21mm. Weight=1.07g

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1412 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Appears to be an 1808, 20 Para

Thanks lawest. I guess mine is underweight.
Learn More...
Australia
14514 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is Year 28; combined, AH1223//28 would convert to AH 1250, or AD 1834-5.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The date is Year 28

Right. I can see the two V shaped numerals in pic #2. I had thought the first one might part of the scroll below it. I'm not sure how I came about "year 10"!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regnal year is at the top of the second image - 28 in Arabic Numerals.
This is a reform coin of Sultan Mahmoud (1808 - 1839) and everyone else is right.

20 Para was half of a Kuru (Piastre) worth around a halfpenny at the time.
I have a Beslik (5 Kurus) of the same issue. This coin is 39mm and mostly coppered billion.

All the Ottoman coins used AH (After Heigra, the flight of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina in AD 622) and the date was the coronation of the Sultan with the Regnal year separately.

As you may know, an Islamic year was 354 days and that is why they are up to AH 1223 in 1808 which is actually only 1186 years after the flight from Mecca.

The other side shows the Toughra (Calligraphic Monogram/Signature) of the Sultan. The leaves are a sign of reform as Islam general bans the display of graven images of living things.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right Princetane, I had uploaded this chart some time ago:

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 283Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: