Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 D Lincoln Oddity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
52 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bill Kerr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Guys can you help me on this coin, what exactly did I find?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a solid residue on the coin? I am thinking two coins were glued together, came apart, and now there is an imprint of the top coin on the glue.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3304 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post the weight? I want to say it's glue or possible added the coin coin post mint. The colour. Around the area with the extra material seems very red compared to what it should look like based on the condition of the rest of the coin. I can't think of any minting error where this could happen. I'll let the experts confirm.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70089 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of glue job, agree. Try an acetone soak.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
clear glue and the reverse of another CENT was pressed into the wet glue until it hardened and pried apart.
An acetone soak should get it off.. Take note though that the glue did give this coin an airtight seal and the coin did not tone out like the rest of did. So when the glue comes off the shine will stay and then fade over time.
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Looks like dried glue which has protected the underlying surface of copper from toning, so it has remained bright and shiny.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8883 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yes. Residue from an adhesive or dried liquid. Soak in acetone.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bill Kerr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It does look to be solid and is above the surface, however, the image on the back in Monticello is below the columns.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

crazy

Pillar of the Community
United States
2040 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's 100% glue unless there's a new type of metal that is transparent. Spendable
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15699 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter what it is, it is not an error.
Also that is the Lincoln memorial.
Monticello is on the nickels.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: