Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 D Shield Penny Struck On Damage Defective Plating

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,140Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In short if it was a true defective planchet you'd be able to see the design elements for example the scroll you can't and it's clear damage.
Since the Planchet when punched out is zinc then plated copper. So before the strike you'll have the defective planchet showing zinc. This if it was struck the characteristics seen are not possible.
Next
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with Dearborn please show us the slab from NGC with your coin in it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70091 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By all means, please show us this NGC slab!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/03/2022 8:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2791 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@4Qeens: Your coin has added metal after strike. Without test it is hard to determinate what metal it is. For the collecting interest it is just an PMD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Solder or silver paint ? Well tell that to NGC cause that coin its been graded MS67RD by NGC on damage defective plating

Paint me skeptical. Graded by NGC you say? And you broke it out of the slab for what reason? The coin(s) you showed us were not in a slab. Show us the label if you would please. I have a feeling we all know the answers to these questions, don't we?
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That second coin is a legit error. (the memorial) defective copper plating/partial plating error. I've got two shield cents like that I pulled out of OBW rolls 2018D & 2019 D. 2018 D has defective plating/partial plating error on Obv and rev 2019 D only shows on the obv.
This is only to show that they do exists and the memorial isn't damage since it was struck like that seeing the design elements very clearly. All the pics are finally, for show and tell.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2791 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Gorham but your coin post has nothing to do with the coin of the post.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Memorial from eBay where OP got that photo.
And shield cent graded NGC as well to compare with mine (2018d & 2019d find images in this thread/post of u haven't seen them) but again only showing these my coins are not up for debate the ones I previously posted in this thread.
In short the OPs origami coin posted the shield cent is ofc as we said damage.

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Sorry Gorham but your coin post has nothing to do with the coin of the post.

It does we r talking about the defective plating. And I seen comments about the memorial the second coin op posted. I saw debate on that coin so I'm clearing that coin up and also showing shield cent ones to show and compare them so it does topic wise. But OFC nothing to do with a damaged coin in ORIGINAL image post
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2791 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GOR, your coin or the NGC coin is not the point. The post coin it is an PMD.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that BUT most of the comments after are talking about the Memorial cent not being real merclover said it and after that a few others agreed I'm clearing that up
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silvirosi
Quoted from merclover
Quote:
Please don't complicate things by showing us a second coin, we ask for one coin per thread. Your second coin, the Lincoln Memorial cent looks as if it has had solder splashed on it, so it too is post mint damage.

This is what I'm clearing up bc most were agreeing but it's actually a defective copper plating or partial plating whatever you'd like to call it.
Edited by gorham_collector
07/03/2022 9:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2791 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please Gor, with all the respect, for plating problems, which happened I suggest you to open other topic. An topic about plating IMO will be very interesting, thanks.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally there is some one who knows more than the rest of us and yes his coins are good example of damage defective plating.
And for all the nonbelievers and the ones who already know the answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's your NGC slab/label 4Queens? YOUR coin, not someone else's
ša va bien aller

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,140Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: