Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Heavily Damaged / Burnt 1916 Mercury Or 1916 D Mercury Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 724Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This heavily damaged dime was included with a purchase I made awhile back. It was in a 2x2 that said "house fire 1916 D Mercury dime".
Personally I dont think it is / was a 1916 D Mercury dime nor did the seller that I purchased it from. Just curious to see your opinions on this heavily damaged dime.

I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Edited by Jakes Coins
07/03/2022 12:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15754 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the house fire part is correct but I can't tell if if
there is a D or an S or no mm with damage in that area.
I don't think there is enough proof either way.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70210 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto on that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17748 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a word NO !

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8922 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soooo close...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is methods iv heard that can clean up the coin a bit and bring out some missing details, someone else might be able to post the link, a coin this badly damaged it couldn't hurt but chances are it's not worth the time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10362 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a 1916, for sure, but the reverse is too far gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1103 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if, it's not even a filler, it's toast!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17748 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would love to see if this coin could be 'cleaned' up a little.

John , with a coin like this all you need is a drop of Dawn on a damp rag and lightly rub it between your fingers .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10362 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2561 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'd really hate to wreck a coin like this by cleaning it.....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20716 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One big mess.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
39215 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 724Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: