Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin/Token Found In Angus Scotland - Wondering What It Is (Id: 18th Century Flax Bale Seal)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 708Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wakeford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

My daughter found this the last day when out and about, we are hoping someone will be able to help us find out what it is. Looks to me like a token, maybe a religious token of some sort from what I have seen on Google. The side photo of the token with the two holes looks the exact same on the opposite side, so maybe the holes go right the way through and it was part of a necklace at some point? Looking forward to the replies.

Many thanks
Edited by Wakeford
07/03/2022 6:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it metallic or ceramic?
Learn More...
United States
24278 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wake, that is an interesting find, but I suspect it isn't a coin. The whitish color is characteristic of old lead. Is it oddly heavy and soft compared with modern coins? To be clear though, don't damage this piece to figure out if it is soft. Assuming that it is lead, those through holes make me think that this is a lead seal.

I'm tempted to move this thread over to the unidentified subforum so that we can get a broader set of eyeballs on it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45888 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Weight? Size?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
Australia
14521 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two holes on the rim indicate this is indeed a seal of some kind; there would originally have been string or rope of some kind threaded through the hole. It is presumably made of lead.

The date appears to be 1821, though "821" might be some kind of ID code unrelated to the date. The script appears to be Cyrillic, so presumably it is of Russian origin. Seems to say "T. Primaki", which I'd guess is the name (or abbreviation of the name) of the person or business which applied the seal.

I don't know what it would have sealed. Might have been a document of some kind, might have been a bale or crate of trade goods.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1227 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a metal detectorist I can vouch for this having a classic appearance of lead oxide coating often found on lead buried underground for a long time. Interesting find.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wakeford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap has nailed it. I googled "T. Primaki" and found this website that has a coin with the same wording: http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSWALES.htm

Looks like it is a Russian Lead Flax/Hemp Bale Seals. On the peaceheavens website it say:
"Whereas Flax Bale seals are found primarily in the North of England in huge quantities, over 1400 at Bentham Mills alone, because that's where the Industrial flax based revolution took place, it is noticeable that the hemp seals occur randomly throughout the length and breadth of the country in ones and twos, because hemp bales were needed in much smaller quantities by cottage rope making industries, and spread over a greater time span, however more hemp was exported than flax .. but in later years hemp bales were not sealed, except from Archangel."

So it looks like I have a hemp bale seal, which is quite a coincidence as for the first time in a long time, or maybe ever, hemp is being trialled by a number of farmers in Angus fields. I know the guy who is leading the trial so this will be great to tell him.

If you look at the coin upside down it looks like the date is 178? which would be more in line with the 1796 date the matching coin on peacehavens.co.uk has on it.

Thanks everyone for the help. We would never have come up with that solution and it couldn't have been more fascinating for us. I will need to get in touch with the person who runs that website.

Edited by Wakeford
07/04/2022 05:52 am
Learn More...
United States
24278 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent @wake. Thx for following up with us on this thread.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good work! The CCF sleuths at work! : )
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14521 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sap has nailed it. I googled "T. Primaki" and found this website that has a coin with the same wording: http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSWALES.htm

Glad to have helped point you in the right direction.

Quote:
If you look at the coin upside down it looks like the date is 178? which would be more in line with the 1796 date the matching coin on peacehavens.co.uk has on it.

I'd agree; "1788" would be my best reading of the date.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 708Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: