Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 S Cent With LDS Deterioration And Filling?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 665Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:23 pm Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this in fact caused by LDS effects on letters and dates?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70371 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Multiple die chips, very cool, never seen this many on a date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look cool, for sure. Thanks for the input!
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice chips
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45823 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to see full coin pics to tell if it is an LDS. Nice die chips though.2x2 worthy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 3 tubes labled BIE's/Filled but all are BN (brown)...yours looks like it has orig color...would like to see a full pic.
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please always show us the entire coin, both sides. Always.
I agree, nice die chips. Keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As requested here are full pics. I now also see that the L in LIBERTY is set far left into the rim. This came from a leftover roll I bought over 10 years ago. It's a Brandt roll label and I think I remember reading once that Brandt's were re-rolls, not OBW. But of the 40 or so I have left they all look very good except the usual spots.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a Brandt roll label and I think I remember reading once that Brandt's were re-rolls, not OBW.

"OBW" is a misnomer. Unless the roll says it's from the actual mint, EVERY roll has been wrapped and maybe even rewrapped countless times before reaching a bank. The usual way coins come from the mint is in bags. There is no way of knowing if rolls were " original" to a specific bank or rewrapping service. There are sellers on eBay that wrap rolls and state they are "OBW" and there are buyers that fall for them hook, line and sinker. Sorry for ranting, but the term "OBW" really gets me.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover

I totally agree with the righteous anger against unscrupulous "OBW" sellers on eBay.
I have been lucky a couple of times (10-15 years ago) and got some that I believe were wrapped in the 50's and 60's. But then again, I've gotten the ones where you can tell they are re-wrapped, opened and reloaded, etc.
I love roll hunting but NEVER pay more than I'm willing to gamble/waste if I ever do get one these days.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 50s were notorious for running the dies to long. 54 I think has more die chips, broken posts, cracks than any year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 50s were notorious for running the dies to long. 54 I think has more die chips, broken posts, cracks than any year.

I agree. I think it's harder to find a '54 cent without chips than with them!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2127 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover
I'm with you on OBW rolls , or at least the use of the term to raise the price of the roll. I've acquired lots of rolls to look through over the years and the only ones that I am sure were OBW's were these 1968-D's . It was a bank bag of 100 rolls and I still have a bunch of them left for rainy days.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: